Some advice from real world pilots please.

I've been advised that smaller aircraft (single engine Cessnas and Pipers etc) do not switch on their red and green nav lights or strobes during daylight hours and I should disable them for those particular aircraft in the FTX AU Traffic pack.

Any comments on the real world practice in Australia?

G'day Graham,

Havn't flown for a while but always flew with strobes day & night but didn't use nav lights till night.

Rotating beacon always on before start & off after shut down. In fact this switch was often left on in the aircraft so it activated as soon as the master was switched on.

It's all pretty clear in the CAR ....

196 Aeroplanes in flight or on the manoeuvring area of land aerodromes

(1A)  The operator and the pilot in command of an aeroplane in flight, or operating on the manoeuvring area of a land aerodrome, must ensure that the lights required by this regulation to be displayed on the aeroplane are so displayed.

Penalty:  25 penalty units.

(1) Unless CASA otherwise directs, an aeroplane in flight or operating on the manoeuvring area of a land aerodrome shall display the following navigation lights:

(a) an unobstructed red light projected above and below the horizontal plane through an angle from dead ahead to 110° port;

(B) an unobstructed green light projected above and below the horizontal plane through an angle from dead ahead to 110° starboard; and

© an unobstructed white light projecting above and below the horizontal plane rearward through an angle of 140°, equally distributed on the port and starboard sides.

(2) Unless CASA otherwise directs, navigation lights shall be steady lights.

(3) Unless CASA otherwise directs, an aeroplane in flight or operating on the manoeuvring area of a land aerodrome shall display, in addition to the navigation lights, an anti‑collision light consisting of a flashing red light visible in all directions within 30 degrees above and 30 degrees below the horizontal plane of the aeroplane.

I use the lights in the same manner as Ryanm, except that I do the nav lights at the same time as the strobes. Additionally, I turn the landing light on as I enter the runway, off at 300 feet, on again during pre-landing checks (BUMFISH) and off again once down. That said, a lot of pilots just use the strobe and I've even had flight instructors say not to bother with the nav lights!

Thanks guys, I think I will leave the aircraft lights in FTX AU Traffic as is. Best not to ignore proper proceedure in the sim.

The info I got was from a Northern Hemisphere pilot who said nav lights and strobes were only on during night flying. Not sure what part of the world he flies now but did say he got his pilot licence in the US.

When I fly in the 152 it's just the beacon, not even landing light's (only on a perfectly clear day).

I sold myself on using the landing lights by standing near the runway and watching the approaching aircraft. A small aircraft with it's landing light on is a hell of a lot easier to see (even against a bright background) than one that hasn't. When you're in a plane yourself and looking out a small side window for people landing, I'd like all the aid I can get spotting anybody on finals - or allowing some one else to spot me while I'm on them.

If it's good enough for the transport pilots to land with them on, then it's good enough for me! Same goes for turning on the strobe anytime I move inside the runway gables or across a holding point.

But then, I drive long distance with the headlights on for the same reason .... visibility!

I fly the East Coast which is very busy. Washington to Boston is a big time event.

Always use the beacon and strobes, Nav in weather and always dusk to dawn.

Landing lights taking off and always descending within 10 miles of the airport.

As was said, they are just bulbs.

I always wondered why a big greyhound bus drives with their lights on in bright sunlight until I read a stat that said it made a difference.

I was flying a Bonanza A36 up Victor 1 route (500 feet up the coast past YSSY and Sydney town) to Warnervale and had all the lights on. Came time to lower the undercarriage and I could not see 3 greens for the undercarriage - started to go through the options for no landing gear. THEN, I remembered I had the nav lights on which dims the cockpit lights for night time. Turned off the nav lights and bingo 3, bright, green u/c lights. I was very relieved! One thing to remember with nav lights on in daytime - turn up the dimmer if there is one!

I was flying a Bonanza A36 up Victor 1 route (500 feet up the coast past YSSY and Sydney town) to Warnervale and had all the lights on. Came time to lower the undercarriage and I could not see 3 greens for the undercarriage - started to go through the options for no landing gear. THEN, I remembered I had the nav lights on which dims the cockpit lights for night time. Turned off the nav lights and bingo 3, bright, green u/c lights. I was very relieved! One thing to remember with nav lights on in daytime - turn up the dimmer if there is one!

Same with the PA24 (piper comanche single) - there have been quite a few emergencies declared on the basis of 'no greens' due nav lights on just in Queensland, red faces all round. My first instructor, an ex WWII Beaufighter pilot warned me of it when endorsing me,  as he had been embarrassed by it.

I've heard comment about leaving the landing light off when cruising around from a bulb economy perspective, but crowded airspace around where I fly pretty much mandates being as bright and obvious as possible (especially in dull weather) so I usually have it on in high-traffic areas (certainly inbound and outbound from the field).

Beacon on all the time. Strobes and the Mode-C on from entering the runway to exiting. Nav lights are I believe on all the time for most of the GA schools I've rented from but their operation is only usually checked for night flying.

Cheers, Iain

does anyone know what regulations or standards determine whether a beacon is required - I have asked this question to instructors who were unable to answer. Perhaps it varies from country to country but I have seen beech 76 twins with and without red beacons, I have flown in TB20 which had no beacon at all. Before this I had always assumed a beacon was standard, required equipment.

It may vary country to country but here in Aust all GA aircraft & up used to have a beacon. Sport aviation regs I don't think so but not sure of what's current. The TB20 I used to fly, VH-TRP had beacon, strobes & Nav lights. Nice aircraft in which I did over 100 hours including night VFR rating(class 4 Instrument rating in those days). Loved flying it!

NAV lights (red / green) are anti collision lights for night time use only (because you can tell which direction aircraft is heading ie: green on the left and red on the right means its heading towards you)

The STROBE should not be switched on till the aircraft is on the runway at night time (standard procedure as it blinds aircraft waiting behind)

Rotating beacon is used day & night as it also warns people nearby the aircraft is in use and could be started on the ground

When I was at ERAU this was basically our SOP, and I have used it for my flying.  Beacon on all the time.  If no beacon then use strobes all the time.  (always have somthing flashing when the engine is running)  If beacon and strobes...beacon on all the time, strobes on on taking the active runway for departure and off when leaving the runway after landing.  Landing light on when entering active runway, off when outside of airport approach area, vice versa on approach.  At dusk, I use sunset as a marker, navs on. 

Night time operations on the ground I would use the taxi/landing light as minimaly as possible except when on the active runway.  Tho sometimes I would need it if I was at an unfamiliar airport looking for the transient parking.

Cheers

TJ

I am amazed their is such inconsistency. Working as an avionics technician/LAME for nearly 15 years across military and civilian RPT, operating lights are considered very important.

It staggers me that some areas of the GA community seem reluctant to use them considering midair collision would have to be a much greater risk level than RPT as often they are flying in uncontrolled airspace and pilots are more likely to less experienced than RPT pilots.

Aircraft lights are their for one reason and one reason only, visibility to other aircraft and the Tower. The funny thing with Nav lights is that close up they don't seem to be very bright, but they do tend to appear brighter with distance. We have them on ALL the time meaning effectively the Nav light switched is just left on even during overnight at the gate.

I too am someone who drives with my headlights on often, and Europe has legislated for Day Time Running lights on all cars, you would see this on the latest BMWs and Merc etc which have rows of white LEDs that turn on with the ignition. Its all about visibility to others. Even clear days can have changes in light conditions to mask your vehicle/aircraft. Nav lights and Strobes are designed to penetrate those changes.

An interesting point was made during the investigation of the  GOL 737 vs Emb Legacy midair collision over Brazil a few years back where they collided head on at high altitude causing the loss of the 737 (first hull loss of the NG series). The Legacy TCAS was inadvertently turned off, and ATC had given them an incorrect Flight Level to use. Anyway the train of thought was that had both aircraft had their landing lights on, they may well have visually seen each other and avoided the collision.

Food for thought when you are next flying around in crowed skies.

Bonjour Martin,

I'am sceptical about both aircraft having their landing lights on making a difference with the Brazil mid-air collision ... considering their combined closing speeds! ...... also how much time do pilots of these types of aircraft (B737 & Legacy) spend looking out of their windows when they are supposed to be under full ATC control?

David 

Here is what the FAA says:

"Federal Aviation Regulations

Home > Aviation Regulations > Parts Index > Part 91 > Sec. 91.209 - Aircraft lights.Sec. 91.209 — Aircraft lights.

No person may:

(a) During the period from sunset to sunrise (or, in Alaska, during the period a prominent unlighted object cannot be seen from a distance of 3 statute miles or the sun is more than 6 degrees below the horizon)—

(1) Operate an aircraft unless it has lighted position lights;

(2) Park or move an aircraft in, or in dangerous proximity to, a night flight operations area of an airport unless the aircraft—

(i) Is clearly illuminated;

(ii) Has lighted position lights; or

(iii) is in an area that is marked by obstruction lights;

(3) Anchor an aircraft unless the aircraft—

(i) Has lighted anchor lights; or

(ii) Is in an area where anchor lights are not required on vessels; or

(B) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off."

Don

Bonjour Martin,

I'am sceptical about both aircraft having their landing lights on making a difference with the Brazil mid-air collision ... considering their combined closing speeds! ...... also how much time do pilots of these types of aircraft (B737 & Legacy) spend looking out of their windows when they are supposed to be under full ATC control?

David

At Cruise, heaps of time. I've flow a number of times in the jump seat, and they sure spend a lot of time looking out the window. At this stage of flight they would have been an a very low level of concentration of actually flying the aircraft. So looking out the window watching the world go by would be quite normal.

Archived