What exactly are ground polygons

NaveenB

Hi all, I have a question for the scenery gurus, I noticed that alot of people have been talking/posting about Ground Polygons, and getting better performance by turning them off, I guess several sceneries have the option to do that in the control panel.

I googled it and discovered this article by our very own Bill Womack

http://www.simpilotnet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=206&Itemid=32

but I am still having a bit of difuculty wrapping my head around the topic, are they flat-polygons, texture layers, masks...etc

Also does the scenery look that much worse with them off, would I even know they were missing?  And would the performance increase be worth it?

Also does the scenery look that much worse with them off, would I even know they were missing?  And would the performance increase be worth it?

Excellent questions! I’m interested in an explanation too, especially on your last question!

Wolfgang

Ground polygons are models that display features such as runways, taxiways, and aprons in a resolution that is much higher than the 7cm/pixel that photoreal ground displayers. They basically add the hard surfaces at airports without having to use ugly FSX default runways and such. If you turn them off you will definitely notice since you'll be left with the default taxiway and runway textures, I'm not sure about performance increase but I personally wouldn't turn them off.

Ground polygons are my computer's worst enemies.

Ground polys are not the issue, it's the texture use that slows systems with less memory. You could have a huge ground poly that just repeats the same texture over and over and you would get no performance hit at all. The difference with Orbx ground poly's is that every tile is unique requiring it's own texture call, which needs more system memory.

Russ.

Archived