Get it sorted

Goober

Hi all, just hoping to get some input on how everyone keeps track of all there add-ons. I'm obviously not talking about products that have self installers/uninstallers that stare you in the face, it's more the smaller scenery and aircraft where you manually put folders in their locations.  I recently I had to do a reinstall on my PC (yes nightmare :'() and trying to find all the small bits, like smoke effects, or another plane might have a gauges folder. I found it so easy to miss something not to mention the time to find everything.

Looking forward to everyone's ideas.

Goober

Goober

I reckon go with JayKae's ghosting idea... Ghost your FSX install, then it is all there. I also keep all my downloaded files addons etc in a seperate partition that is backed up regularly.

Cheers

Craig.

Thanks Craig & Wolter for taking the time to reply, I'll certainly make sure to make a backup copy of everything before I install anything.  That way, I suppose it's only one step back, as opposed to a lot.  I noticed a new post just before writing this asking Jay to explain the ghosting method.  I think that's done with nortons, which I don't have.  I'll follow the thread with interest though.  I'm still not sure if that necessarily solves everything- making that carbon copy- especially if you want to do a fresh install of FS and then build on top with your  add ons.  One reason is what if you don't want all the same add ons back? An example I can give is when I thought I had uninstalled everything, about one week later I reinstalled FS, with no add ons yet, started FS, & there was some scenery and a repaint on the system that had been missed when I did the uninstall, now these were visual things, so how can you be 100% sure you have got everything when you uninstall, like those little tweaks we all do.

Thanks Goober

Archived