FSX won't load

Tassie

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61637.0

Application Timestamp: 46fadb14

Went to load up FSX today for a flight but when I clicked on the Icon it just took me to the System Folder.

I have tried going through Rex but the same issue. Tried running a repair but no different.

This is the fault list that windows shows. Any suggestions other than a complete reinstall "again".

I am running Win7 64. ???

Fault Module Name: simprop.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.61637.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 46fadb59

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00006da7

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:

LCID: 3081

Perhaps the logbook is corrupted. This has happened to me before, and is easy to fix. There's a free program called FSXLog that will analyze your logbook corrupted entries and then repair it. I can't find a link to it, but I'd be happy to email  it you if you want to PM me your email address.

Your issue is with the Simprop.dll which causes an unhandeled exception is the FSX executable, you can try the Log fix but if has no effect there is a relatively painless way out if this which doesn't involve a reinstall of everything. Microsoft is not always right and never will be IMHO.

The most important Step is to use FTX Central to revert to Default VERY IMPORTANT !! INCLUDING NO OzX !!

First make a copy of both the Cfg files your Flights and the entire FSX Directories as is.

Rebuild Method.

Delete the registry entry and place your FSX install DVD in the draw, you should be asked to run the repair at which point only the Virgin FSX files will be placed on your system (This Process DOES NOT effect ANY Add-On's that I am aware of) All other additional Aircraft etc as well as scenery should remain intact, you are only repairing the reference to FSX within Windows

Apply the FSX Service Packs & Patches to SP2 or Acceleration, and THEN copy back your install you backed up "WITHOUT" overwriting or replacing any files.

The result is Windows "Thinks" it has a fresh install, remember all your registry entries for other add-on's are still totally intact so NO reinstall is needed.

Re run FTX Central and you should be good to go..................

Hi Maurice,

Am saving the cfg, flights and fsx directories now ( 50 gig ) will take a while.

Please excuse my ignorance but how do I delete the registry entry ( where is it )?

I am not a computer wiz! :P

Thanks, Rick

Click "Start" at the lower left corner. In the box, write regedit and choose regedit.com when it shows up in the search list.

Open the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" tree, if it's not open.

Open the "Software" tree.

Open the "Microsoft" tree.

Open the "Microsoft Games" tree.

Delete the "Flight Simulator" entry.

You should also back up the following librarys, in case.

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX (It includes the shadeer files)

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (It includes all the IMPORTANT .cfg, .bin, and .xml files + more)

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (It includes important scenery.cfg, scenery index library)

Jack

a Swede in Spain

Thanks,Maurice and JJJackson.

I am back in the skies again! The only issue I have now is when I ran FSX Central I get this error code.

Error reading region file Australia.rgn

Northamerica.rgn

Region_FTX__off.rgn

Then Unhandled exception has occured in your application

I did set Central to default FSX before doing the rebuild. Hope you can help further as you are the Guru's :-\

Do a search for those files first off, if you don't find them , I'm not sure I don't have these files on my PC so they could possibly be a backup of the state of FTX Central, if you have these files I'd suggest renaming them to .rgn.OLD and this way preserve the ones you have, now try to run FTX Central again and see if you get any errors.

While your at it look for .OFF 's in the orbx scenery too which could indicate an untidy exit from FTX scenery.

Hope this helps

Righto if there are a great number of .OFF  instead of .BGL then FTX Central has not done what it should properly and I suspect these .off files are in the Flight Sim X Scenery\World\Scenery folder.  Check it thinks that the Scenery is Default and if so try to switch to Aust or PNW and see if you get any error's, if you do then I believe we can fix that.

Install this little tool Take Ownership Registry Entry.

This tool is a registry tweak that adds a take ownership script to the Windows Shell thus bypassing the UAC. Finally Windows  has caught onto something Linux has known for years.

CAUTION I cannot guarantee it will work and this tweak will MODIFY the SYSTEM REGISTRY You do so at your own discretion.

To remove this Shell Addition Take Ownership Remove.

After installing go to the FSX Root directory in your Windows File Explorer and then right click on the Directory and select "Take Ownership" from the shell menu, once completed try FTX Central again, any error's ?.

Now if you do then what I'd suggest you grab a few bat files I made to help you out.

Mozz's Batch Files

But first check the file extensions and whether you have the same file names ie are there 2 files of the same name but one with a .BGL and one with a .OFF extension?

This will make a difference to which batch file you run!!

Unzip and place the BATCH files in your FSX Scenery\World\Scenery directory

CAUTION!!! THESE ARE DOS COMMAND FILES and WILL do what they say without hesitation NO Second Chances !!!

But don't be afraid they are rather self explanitory.

To use them you run the files with a double click on the appropriate batch file.

Backup_ALL_OFFs_and_BGLs_2_.OLD.BAT = This makes a backup copy of ALL your Scenery files with the extensions of OFF and BGL and calls them OLD, this is step one VERY IMPORTANT

If all you need to do is rename some of the errant BGL's then use the 2 command files shown below.

Make a backup first so you can fix things if you mess up.

Backup_OFFs = Makes a Backup of ALL you Scenery files called .OFF to .BAKUP

Backup_BGLs = Makes a Backup of ALL you Scenery files called .BGL to .BAKUP

Rename_OFF_2_BGL = Renames any .OFF's to .BGL 

"If you have duplicate files with different extensions you may need to backup these and then delete the original"

Rename_BGL_2_OFF = Renames any .BGLs to .OFF's

Copy_ALL_OLD_2_BGL= This file goes with the one at the top of the list and Resets the entire backed up scenery files to a .BGL extension but leaves the Backup .OLD files in case.

You may need to confirm overwrite so be patient

This should get you out of trouble.

There are other Batch Files in the package to clean up afterwards but use with caution.

Delete_Bakup = Self explanitory

Delete_OFF  = Self explanitory

Delete_OLD  = Self explanitory

Unfortunately I cannot open FTX Central to change from default. You have given me a very detailed procedure to deal with my "Central" issue but I am not confident enough to risk delving into the registry.

Is there a plan B, i.e. reinstall some FTX software that contains Central?

Doesn't matter you can uninstall FSX WITHOUT removing any of the Original Files placed on the PC when first installed, my way just saves time.

If you uninstall FSX and then DELETE the entire directory, reinstall FSX and then apply the FSX updates to Acceleration or SP2.

Then you copy and paste back to the original location the backup you made before de-installing.

You MUST however make sure you DO NOT overwrite ANY files, then using the tools I have given you above reset your FTX Central World Scenery files. You should then be good to Go.

FSX runs fine now , no need to reinstall. I will try the batch file fix's in the FTX Scenery folder tonight. If I can get FTX Central to open and change from Default to Aus or PNW all will be well in the world.

I have tried the " Take ownership " tool, no change. I have run all the Batch files in the sequence listed but again no change.

FSX is running fine. FSX Central still comes up with the same error messages and will not load.

It is a very sad boring world without FTX! :'(

Archived