XP 64 bit OS

jgruschow

I used to have XP Pro 32 and recently upgraded to XP64 which runs very well as long you use the appropriate and now widely available 64 bit drivers. Noticed NO performance decrease whatsoever compared to the usual flavour of XP using FSX and AU Blue & Gold.

For some more information, you could have a look at these charts concerning XP64 vs Vista 64 gaming performance : http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=632190.

Unfortunately, they did not test FSX.

Jean-Paul

I did not have any trouble finding drivers for my rather common setup : Q6600, P5W DH Deluxe, 9800 GTX. Even Track-IR Pro and my Saitek X52 run fine. I switched for the fun of it and because I have 4 Gb of RAM and wanted to give a 64 bit OS a try. I usually re-format every 6 months so next time, it might be Vista 64 (who knows what SP2 may bring ?) or I might even go back to XP Pro 32 as XP64 runs neither better nor worse on my PC.

Jean-Paul 

I've been using XP64 for ages and I have had nothing but solid performance. The only time I will move to Vista is when I have no choice and even then it will be the 64bit version.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Butch

Never tried XP 64bit, but using Vista 64bit. Found it is a bit slower then 32bit.

And the VERY occasional FSX plugin wont work. I tried a voice recognition one a while back, where there was no official 64bit support, and the only way to get it running at the end was using the beta version, which worked ok for me anyway.

The only real benefits of 64bit is more RAM availability at the moment. But who are honestly using 4GB now anyway?

Guys,

I hope no one takes my comments about not wanting to move to Vista as an indication its a bad OS. My only concern with Vista (based on reviews) is that it is a bit heavier as an OS compared to XP and so you take a 2~5% hit on performance.

That said, I guess when Nahelem is out and whatever replaces Nahelem that 2~5% performance delta will be irrelevant. This is exactly the same scenario when we moved from Win95/Me to WinXP.

Butch

HHhhhmmmnnnn  there are a few diverse opinions here.

I recently had the opportunity to see 3 relatively high end PC's side by side doing exactly the same thing.

All Core Duo 3.2 Ghz with 8800 GTX Graphics and Geil 3 Gb DDR II 1033 RAM etc obviously the mainboards were slightly different All ASUS 1 64 2 X 32 Bit

XP Pro SP2 32 Bit  XP Pro 64 Bit and Vista 64 Bit.  Now it it a little difficult to be totally objective but in seing 3 PC's side by side with the same identical software installed,

Time to boot Vista 64  significantly faster followed by Win XP 32 and then XP 64 but in all honesty I thought running general applications like Word and Photoshop they were comparable .

Switching between applications I think the 64 bit might have been a touch faster but like I said earlier it is difficult to say definitively.

Speed and stability in this regard is probably as has been said driver and hardware driven,get this wrong and you have a slug - get it right and your driving a Lamborgini.

My only real experience with Vista was a download of the Beta. Even then I had no genuine complaint with it an OS. It worked without glitches.

My complaints (illogical) were with it's appearance and changes from XP. Could never find what I wanted. Anyway I whent back to XP and am very happy with it. I don't want to change.

My original question was inspired by 32 bit ram limitations. I have four gigs of DDR3 1600 installed. It is recognised as being there.BUT, my "system Properties" describes my computer as, "Intel® core2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3GHz 3.33GHz.  2.75GB of ram Physical Address Extension"

I questioned a professional serviceman about this and his explanation was that 32bit only recognises 3.7 gigs total. And as I have 1 gig of video memory the figure is correct.

Nobody I have spoken to about this believes it. If it is correct it means that if I decide to go to SLI my system memory will reduce to 1.7 gigs!

This is the reason I am considering a change to 64bit XP. Then I can stuff 4 x 2gig sticks in and get the benefit of them.

AS long as FSX and Orbx runs flawlessly on it, I will be satisfied. Any driver changes can be sorted out.

Jack

This is the reason I am considering a change to 64bit XP. Then I can stuff 4 x 2gig sticks in and get the benefit of them.

Jack, frankly, having tried both,  unless you already have OOM errors or use other memory intensive applications , moving to X64 only for that is not worth the hassle.

Jean-Paul 

Edit : Oops, next time , I'll read twice. The point you raised about your GPU memory reducing your available RAM is valid. But I am not sure that SLI will double that reduction

But if you use FSX only, I see no point in using SLI.

My only real experience with Vista was a download of the Beta. Even then I had no genuine complaint with it an OS. It worked without glitches.

My complaints (illogical) were with it's appearance and changes from XP. Could never find what I wanted. Anyway I whent back to XP and am very happy with it. I don't want to change.

Just goes to show people really are different  :P I actually very much like the new Vista interface. It was a bit confusing at first but now that I'm used to it I realise it is a very good design!

Archived