Just been thinking

jgruschow

I have just been reading the specs of JV's machine. It brought me to a complete halt. Why do I have a computer with about twice his power, and about three times the price?

I have long thought that I am not getting value for money out of my upgrades. Certainly I am getting near perfect performance, but at what a price. I considered I had the best performance about three computers ago. Now I still think I am getting best performance, but certainly not $10/15 000 worth of betterness.

Now I find myself considering another one. What is holding me back is I refuse to think that a cpu that costs a quarter of the price of my 980x could be better. I like the thought of running at 5.5, but will it run at that 24/7? And for how long?

I am running at a comfortable 4.2, at acceptable temperatures. So what more could I expect?

And is John's computer just an old one he uses for writing to forums?

• 1 month later...

I'm convinced it's in the overclocking, matching ram speeds, etc Jack. From memory I don't think youve overclocked your machine have you??. I always find it almost as good performance wise versus cost to be about a year behind the latest. Better value and almost as good performance. As far as the Sandy Bridge goes, I believe it may be wise to hold off for a while, Your 980 if overclocked properly will perform about the same.

cheers

Ken

Archived