--Something Brewing--

timest

That cloud system looks awesome! REX is shaping up to be a quality product, but is it just me or is everyone missing the biggest environment reality effect possible. By that i mean you can have the best looking cloud system ever developed and integrated with the best ever weather generation engine, but if those fantastic clouds dont CAST SHADOWS ON THE TERRAIN it will never look realistic!

Why has no one tried to develop a cloud terrain shadow system? That would bring a MASSIVE increase in realism to the sim, i know there will be people saying "but what about the fps hit?" but it is possible, the flight sim "Lock on modern combat" uses a cloud terrain shadow system that makes the whole environment come alive, with very little fps hit! The difference is beyond words, and to bring that into the FTX universe would amplify the realism to the point of insanity. Imagine flying at around 4000AGL looking out across a beautiful FTX vista, with cumulus shadows gently drifting across the landscape, that would be "as real as it gets!"

Timest, is this possible with FSX? or is the implementation of such a system too fundemental to be just an "addon"?

Russ.

Why has no one tried to develop a cloud terrain shadow system?

Only a Pommie could think up a question like that!  :P

Hehe - good point Russ. There is a really primitive shadow function that currently operates, at least with X Graphics. I've spent plenty of time recently flying over the default FSX desert, and you can see the tiles darken when there's more clould present. It would be great to see it done in more detail though. You'd think it would be possible, as it already happens with reflections over water.

Only a Pommie could think up a question like that! 

Thanks for the international name calling Andrew, i love you too mate  :-*

Seriously though, how amazing would it be to have cloud shadows blowing across the land!  ;D

Russ.

Archived