Replacing my 285 with a 570

AndreaD

My system is an I7 920 overclocked to 3.26 GHz, 6GB ram and a gtx 285 video card, running Win7 64.

I was thinking of replacing my video card with a new gtx 580. Can any1 say if the improvement will be noticeable?

Thank'you

Andrea

Andrea

IMHO - very little.  The FERMI architecture used in the GTX570 is an advance over the 285 but I am not sure how much of an impact it will make on FSX which is basically a cpu hungry piece of software.  The card might run cooler and you may see smoother textures but then you might not.  The 285 is a very good card and if it is not giving you issues or unless you want the latest and greatest I would stay with it.

However, whatever decision you take it will the right one.

Regards

PeterH :D

Andrea

The i7 2600K is a major new upgrade to the i5xxx and the i7 8xx series - if it were me I would wait a little while to see what develops for the updated 1366/i7 9xx series using the new "ring bus" structure in these will surely make them fly and from results I've seen the better performance results have been in the new i5 2500 (K) core series and less gains (in certain areas) in the new i7 2600 (K) over the old core i7 8xx.  But still significant gains nevertheless and cheaper too.

Undoubtedly these new chipsets are faster than the i7 9xx series but you are reverting back to double channel DDR3 and I wonder wrt to FSX how much of a performance gain you would actually see.  I would also wait for the new MSI 1155 P67 (I've forgotten the name ;D edit: something like Big_bang or Marshall) mobo as this will be one of the faster P67 mobo's available.

Me -  I'll wait and see and let the new purchase dust settle.

Regards

PeterH

EDIT: this one: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/news/CES-2011-MSI-P67-Motherboard-With-Eight-PCI-Express-x16-Slots/5308

Gosh that mobo will really scream!

So I guess I'll stick with my I7 920....

Now, what should I expect from a 570 replacing my 285? Not much as per the first answer I got (tnx) or maybe someone has got a live comparison to submit?

Last one: should I buy a serious cooler and try to OC my 920 up to 4.2 (it's a C0 tho)? And in taht case, what cooler?

I think that's the first board I've seen with the Lucid chipset, which promises quite a big deal (funny, I thought nVidia had hit in one the head or bought it or something)

Scaleable graphics performance was the idea ... will be interesting to see how it performs.

I will be waiting for the LGA2011 X68A (successor to LGA1366) -- due later in the year.

I like the idea of a board that only has 16x slots (it is a real pain when you need a 4x slot for a raid card, and all that is left is 1x)

Archived