Australian Repaints for DA Cheyenne XLII

Butch

Hi Guys,

I have had some people ask about the Australian reg repaints I've done. As I mentioned before, I did these because I wanted to fly Australian reg aircraft in FTX, my problem was there wheren't any! So I learned how to do them myself... over the course of a couple of months I now feel that I have a reasonable idea of what to do assuming the plane comes with a good paint kit.

Its surprising how easy it can be once you have the basics. I still have to learn how to do refections from scratch but, that will come.

There where a few that I did in solid colours, mainly as learning steps to be able do more complicated schemes. I have since had a bit more practice and have learned how to do curves and shapes so now I've done more commercial looking schemes.

This one is my BHP (outsourced) miner executive sled, or cargo dog depends on where I am flying. I did this one mainly to be able to fly to all the mining airstrips in FTX, which I am still to do. ;D  Does anyone have a list of the mining strips?

Posted Image

You can get the textures here http://members.optusnet.com.au/butch/BHP.zip

The next one up is just another scheme that I use for general flying around, its still a workhorse in that its suppose to be for hire.

Posted Image

You can get the textures here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/butch/brown.zip

Last but not least, this one is my personal 'not for hire' pocket rocket. I have found the Cheynne II to be the fastest of the 3 variants.

Posted Image

I still have to finish this one, mainly line up textures and then do the light maps. I think I'll remove the MAT logo and text on the front so its completely private. I'll post this one in a couple of days or so.

Hope you like them.

Cheers

Butch

Those are really nice comments, thank you kind sirs!

I'll try to finish the VH-JAM this week and start on a flowing White/Silver/Red or Blue scheme for the Cheyenne II over the weekend. I also saw a paint of the Twotter in a shark motif that I thought was very interesting... maybe as a Seaworld corporate aircraft?  :D

Posted Image

I love the shark mouth and the eyes, maybe I'll just add the eyes and mouth without the grey body... lets see.

I would really encourage everyone to take up painting, if you start out with a plane like the DA Cheyenne which has a top notch paint kit, its almost as easy as typing. The only thing that stops me from doing super-duper schemes is imagination, time and patience. The last two requirements being the most valuable commodities.

I got started by going to Avsim's painter forum here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=200 then read the tutorials and comments etc...

For the tutorials go to Morgan Dainow's site here: http://members.lycos.co.uk/mcwdainow/  excelent tutorial.

Well that is all for now, I'll leave you with one last shot of a solid red scheme which at one point I thought of doing with white triangles on the wing and tailplanes like the RAAF arrows or as a F1 (Ferrari) corporate aircraft. I am not really sure what to do... open to suggestions.

Posted Image

One last thing, if you can find an interesting scheme that isn't TOO hard let me know and I see if I can knock it up.

Cheers and thanks again for the nice comments.

Butch 

Guest Private-Cowboy

Nice ones. I was always thinking about getting the Cheyenne. Question is, are your paints for the FS9 version? I downloaded one and they are in bmp format and lack the specular textures. It looks very much like you'r doing old FS9-repaints. Isn't there an updated paintkit?

Private cowboy,

These is the FSX version, I don't have fs9. Also, not sure what you mean about specular textures. The paintkit comes with an alpha channel which adds the shine.

I suspect you are referring to the shine on built into the model? If it is then that is not / can't be altered with paint.

Hope this makes sense...

Cheers,

Butch

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but if anybody is interested heres another Aussie Cheyenne repaint sitting over at Flightsim.com

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and one I am currently working on

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers

Casioalpha,

DA Cheyenne repainters unite! Those are nice schemes, I say the more the merrier!

Cheers,

Butch

Those are really nice comments, thank you kind sirs!

I'll try to finish the VH-JAM this week and start on a flowing White/Silver/Red or Blue scheme for the Cheyenne II over the weekend. I also saw a paint of the Twotter in a shark motif that I thought was very interesting... maybe as a Seaworld corporate aircraft?  :D

Posted Image

I love the shark mouth and the eyes, maybe I'll just add the eyes and mouth without the grey body... lets see.

I would really encourage everyone to take up painting, if you start out with a plane like the DA Cheyenne which has a top notch paint kit, its almost as easy as typing. The only thing that stops me from doing super-duper schemes is imagination, time and patience. The last two requirements being the most valuable commodities.

I got started by going to Avsim's painter forum here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=200 then read the tutorials and comments etc...

For the tutorials go to Morgan Dainow's site here: http://members.lycos.co.uk/mcwdainow/  excelent tutorial.

Well that is all for now, I'll leave you with one last shot of a solid red scheme which at one point I thought of doing with white triangles on the wing and tailplanes like the RAAF arrows or as a F1 (Ferrari) corporate aircraft. I am not really sure what to do... open to suggestions.

Posted Image

One last thing, if you can find an interesting scheme that isn't TOO hard let me know and I see if I can knock it up.

Cheers and thanks again for the nice comments.

Butch 

Thanks for the helpful tips Butch. Goober

Guest Private-Cowboy

Private cowboy,

These is the FSX version, I don't have fs9. Also, not sure what you mean about specular textures. The paintkit comes with an alpha channel which adds the shine.

I suspect you are referring to the shine on built into the model? If it is then that is not / can't be altered with paint.

Hope this makes sense...

Cheers,

Butch

You must be using an outdated paintkit then. The FSX-Version of the Cheyenne uses extra specual mapping textures in addition to the alpha channel. And as far as I remember the textures are also in dds format. Or not? Anyway, the paintkit seems to be from the FS9-Version. Sad DA has not released an updated one.

Guest Private-Cowboy

I just downloaded it myself. Yes, that's the latest one. But sadly I must admit it's not even close to what you'd call an FSX paintkit. You cannot do specular textures with it (a feature the Cheyenne retail paints use) and bump maps are not even used on the model. Also the repaint kit produces bmp textures and not dds. That whole paint kit is the same as all Digital Aviation efforts towards FSX - half assed and full of inconsitencies. Sad but true, my favorite addon manufactor for FS9-addons is nowhere near it's own standard in FSX.

With that paint kit all you're doing are FS9-repaint that work in FSX. You're not even touching a single feature that FSX allows and that the repaints that come with the Cheyenne use. Those at least make use of specular textures.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Private-Cowboy

What happened to the paints? They seem to be offline? Can they be downloaded elsewhere?

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the interest, I am putting together a simple website so they can be accessible permanently.

Won't be long, should be up by this evening.

Cheers,

Butch

Guest Private-Cowboy

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the interest, I am putting together a simple website so they can be accessible permanently.

Won't be long, should be up by this evening.

Cheers,

Butch

Any news on that???

Hi PC,

Sorry mate, been too busy to do the website. Good news though, those links are now live again so just click on them and you should be fine.

Let me if you have any problems.

Cheers,

Butch

Archived