Using two graphics cards.

Bassman

Presuming one has the correct Mobo, can one use a GTX460 and a Nvdia ECS N9800GTE -IGMU-F instead of having two identical graphics cards? I think the relatedvterms are Crossfie (for AMD??) and SLI (for NVidia??) .

Presuming the answer is affirmative (apart from me likely using wrong terminology :-[) is there are real benefit from two cards? By the way, I will be using a Sandy Bridge 2600K and a Gigabyte GA P67A-UD5  Mobo.

Cheers  Dan

You can have two graphics cards, but not in SLI (unless they are identical, and SLI compatible)

Crossfire is the ATI system.

There is (unfortunately) no benefit to FSX in doing this ... the second card's cores can be used for CUDA for games/apps that support this, however.

Thanks Ian,

So if I understand right, if the cards are identical AND SLI compatible, there is a benefit for FSX?

If the cards are not identical, then even if SLI compatible, there is no real benefit to FSX?

Cheers  dan

Thanks Ian,

So if I understand right, if the cards are identical AND SLI compatible, there is a benefit for FSX?

If the cards are not identical, then even if SLI compatible, there is no real benefit to FSX?

Cheers  dan

Two card in SLI for FSX can be use IF you are using very high screen resolution....beside that SLI is of no use for FSX.

By the way, to be used in SLI two identical card are needed... 2 x Asus GTX 570 or 2 x Gigabyte  GTX 580.

Thanks Alain (?)

I notice that your system set up has two different graphics cards, one for PhysX?

Going by the replies, your GTX285 must be for non-FSX purposes.

Can you advise what that is used for?

Cheers

Dan

You can run 2 different Cards quite OK FSX won't give a toss,

BUT for external view your going to be behind the 8 ball.

I know a fellow who has the Mindstar G100 Glass instrumentation running on a 9800 GTX+  and a TH2GO running off an ATI 4800 doing the externals in a home cockpit with only a Quad Core 3 Ghz CPU (not sure exactly) but it works as it was intended.

Thanks guys, I am only interested in FSX so will just buy the best single card that I can afford rather than compromising by buying two less expensive cards.

Going to try and kep my system powerful yet simple.

Maurice, not too sure what you mean by "external view"?

Cheers  Dan

I mean the 2 smaller monitors were in front with the glass Cockpit  G1000 on them and the 3 monitors via the TH2GO ran the view outside the cockpit . ie 2D without the Panel or VC without the panel. as if your looking out the Windscreen.

Archived