Revelstoke

Guest Dontay

Guest Northwest Pilot

Like Andreas, I too have been impressed with the rendering capabilities that FS recorder has to offer. It's a shame that it doesn't record sound but as you can see, the video quality that can be achieved on a mid range system is outstanding and is more than a fair trade off. Typically Fraps would hog somewhere between 10-12 FPS. FS recorder, NONE!

Guest Northwest Pilot

excellent !

that's perhaps because it doesn't record sound that it can do this without loosing fps... ;)

Actually it's recording data and not running FSX in real time.  :)

Guest Northwest Pilot

Nice landing ;D  May I inquire as to what plane that is and what are your water sliders set at. ?

Hey thanks!

Water slider setting is set to Max 2.x ( although when I get closer to urban areas I drop it to just 2 ) My FSWC setting is set to Orion's Favorite. My REX OD is set to Stretched OD

Looks really good.

Now, I understand that FsRecorder does not record the sound (have used the earlier version a few times), but how are you actually capturing the sound, I'm assuming you are using another piece of software to record the sound in real-time as it were when the FsRecorder file is playing back and rendering - assuming that's how it works?  :-\

Looks really good.

Now, I understand that FsRecorder does not record the sound (have used the earlier version a few times), but how are you actually capturing the sound, I'm assuming you are using another piece of software to record the sound in real-time as it were when the FsRecorder file is playing back and rendering - assuming that's how it works?  :-\

He's probably using the real landing sound track 

Guest Northwest Pilot

Looks really good.

He's probably using the real landing sound track 

Exactly, there is a link to that vid at the end of mine.

Wow, I was sceptical, then I watched your vid and thought it was pretty smooth. Then I read about how he achieves this, and the penny dropped! All sliders maxed, all the weather you like and no penalties - because it isn't rendering in real time! I can see some drawbacks (sound, of course, but also no moving the camera during playback?), but gotta be worth the trade and I bet we'll get cameras next...

Guest Northwest Pilot

Mark, I'm still running a Duo Core. So you could probably imagine what trying to capture video without easing back the sliders did to my frame rates using Fraps. So then I started experimenting with some of the tricks of the trade that most are aware of. But with FS Recorder producing a quick vid is much faster now and with like you said, no penalties with regard to FPS. I moved the camera around but just at a little slower speed while it was rendering. Not perfect but this method has a lot of potential if your patient enough to sync up the sound captured externally.

I should look into getting a Vimeo account as this video was even smoother before uploading it to You Tube.

By the way, I'd be interested to see what the real pro's come up with using this feature.

The biggest issue is sound, well at least if you want to use in the in-game sound. I gave the rendering thing a try myself later yesterday and it really is quite amazing just how good it is, I would go as far to say that it actually looks smoother than the game itself does which is understandable when you go through the rendering process because I found the process was more stuttery (is that a word?) but again this is not unsurprising when you realise how the smooth rendering is being achieved. The other downside of this was moving my head smoothly to looks around (TrackIR) during rendering as it made it harder to make smooth accurate head movement, the same would also apply to other camera movements.

Overall it's a very interesting breakthrough and will ultimately lead to some really very good and silky smooth videos for us to create and watch in future. The sound problem is an issue, but not much more than it has been previously and there are clearly ways to get around those issues which although may require a bit of experimentation will be worth the extra effort required. Of course for those that are happy to create videos with no in-game sound at all then this in-built rendering method will be a godsend after becoming accustom to the process.  :)

Guest Northwest Pilot

Good capturing and a nice weather setup. Would you mind to post your applied sky and cloud settings?

Cheers, Andreas

Sure, the daytime set is "Spirit of blue" . As for the clouds I'm using Cumulus - 51HD and Cirrus - 13

Thanks for the nice words!

as you can see, the video quality that can be achieved on a mid range system is outstanding and is a more than a fair trade off.

Looks like you are using EZCA here. I have found that rendering with FS-Recorder speeds up the EZCA oscillations, making them look wrong. I just re-shot my Fly-in video (below) as a test, and I had to replace all the cockpit shots with clips from the old video. Perhaps this only becomes significant when the rendering speed is significantly lower than realtime (as in my case).

Here's the two vids to compare. (Remember, cockpit shots will still look flickery).

Original:

With FS-Recorder:

Heavy Metal (Take 2)

Good capturing and a nice weather setup. Would you mind to post your applied sky and cloud settings?

Cheers, Andreas

I like the fact that we noticed the same exact same thing. The Sky make this video looks real especially with this ground texture quality from orbx :D

I m curious to know what settings/ type of clouds you used . could you tell us ?! :D

Guest Northwest Pilot

Cheers, Andreas

I like the fact that we noticed the same exact same thing. The Sky make this video looks real especially with this ground texture quality from orbx :D

I m curious to know what settings/ type of clouds you used . could you tell us ?! :D

No problem Xavier, I shared them in a prior post.  ^^^^^  :)

Hi all, i've installed the new fsrecorder version but can't see the button (or option) dedicated to the video recording... The website said that FSrecorder can't create videos... How do you have done yours ?

It's a menu option called (I think) 'Render video' about 2/3 of the way down the FS-Recorder menu...

Archived