Bundaberg NDB? [Noted]

mhlarsen

Hi Michael,

Presumedly the ASA Charts!  There have actually been a number of changes to many Qld airports under an aggressive upgrade program.  This may have been one of them (not sure) but it certainly slipped under the radar (as it were).

In the last 12 months, Bundaberg has had a runway extension, apron and terminal upgrades, new approach lighting ... etc etc. (no decent imagery of the new bits available yet)

It is conceivable that the NDB frequency changed.  We'll put it on the the list of things to fix.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Just to confirm ... this must be an entirely new NDB installation, as it is now (apparently) located just SW to the runway intersection.

The original installation was to the NorthEast (you can find the towers in the scenery)

Yep, just found the notice of change:

BUNDABERG NDB relocated S24 54 23.7 E152 19 13.1 and frequency

change to 302Khz. (L4)

This is apparently a result of building a new car parking area to accomodate for the new 737/Airbus/EMB services at YBUD.

I would think an edit of the Bundaberg AFCAD should be able fix that?

As I said, it cannot be changed or deleted, not even in the AFCAD. You can add a new NDB but the default one will remain and your new one will be ignored.

This is a quote from one of the guys at fsdeveloper.com when this issue was discussed over there:-

You should not move a VOR, NDB or WAYPOINT. All world owned Navaids are tied to the route database in both FS9 and FSX. A slight movement of a few meters is one thing but too much movement and the Flightplanner in FS becomes corrupt. This is because the Victor and Jet Airways are tied to the position of the Navaid. Moving these type navaids as little as 1NM causes FS to lock up when trying to open the World | Map Mode.

The above is also why FS does not allow us to delete a Navaid or edit the stock navaid. Stock Navaids are part of many other coded areas in FS and can cause FS to lock up when trying to access certain areas of the Map or GPS data when planning or flying a Flight Plan.

The SDK says we can use a property exclude and delete a VOR or NDB. I have found that this is not true since their Lat/Lon is placed as a navigational aid for the Victor/Jet Airway

And from Scruffy Duck, the makers of ADE:-

You cannot move a stock VOR in FSX. Well you might use a tool to move it but FSX does not accept the move. In the latest version of ADE we have stopped all moves/edits of stock navaids in FSX because the Sim does not honor what you are doing.

Hmm, not good, I will have to try this. This is only a problem when moving a Navaid or also when editing the frequency?

Would a consequence of this not be, that AIRAC data would become invalid in some parts of the world with changes like this one at Bundaberg?

Indeed Michael, that is a major issue.

FWIW ... I had another go at moving the NDB at YBUD (and changing its frequency) ... but essentially it hasn't worked to date ...

You can add an NDB with the correct frequency, but the other data remains (even if the original NDB is removed)

Other than changing core files .. and corrupting the Airnav data, there is no apparent easy fix.

Archived