Spot Of Bother!

G'day All,

Recently my PC was taken in for a clean up. So the bloke at the shop moved the (old C Drive) and renamed it E Drive. So now there is a new C Drive. So it's basically a new computer but the (old C Drive) is still there but in another location.

Problem: When I go to load FSX it doesn't. Is there any way of getting it to work on the (old C Drive) now E drive so that I don't have to reinstall every single thing that i've built FSX up to be?

Help would be awesome.

Cheers

Hugh

Why did the drive get changed and the software be left on the original drive ?

If I knew exactly what was done I could answer you more precisely BUT in the short term assuming all the FSX files are intact you will need to seek out the FSX.CFG and its folder from the old Applications directory under the original Documents and Settings  and then grab the TweakFS and point

your OS to it and reset the Path to FSX.

You should or should of ask/ed them to "ghost"the old hdd to the new one. Or just use use the disk management(right click on my computer/manage/disk managment to change the drives back.then boot from that drive .

If you plan to format and reinstall windows on the "new C drive: then you should reinstall FSX too !

Techies may of misunderstood what you wanted them to to do!

hope that helps a bit!

I used to 'cleanup' computers as a side business but never had to move a drive or put a new one in there and before making any changes that affect their software I would tell them what was needed, why and how to get it going again. No, really!

I 'cleanup' in my business basically involved :

1. Removing spyware and viruses

2. Removing unnecessary software

3. Cleaning up orphaned install folders (most installers suck at uninstalling!)

4. On the first test boot I would check the boot menu to make sure the bios wasn't configured to run in safe (slow) mode

If they were running out of disk space I would put a new disk in as drive E: (keeping the DVD/CDROM drive the same drive letter as before) and move the users documents, photos, etc to the new drive. All software remained on C because moving most software will break it.

The main reason to change a new drive to the primary drive is if the old drive is a bit flaky in which case all your data should have been copied to the new drive, otherwise you would lose it when the old drive does completely!

Steven.

What was the point of doing that ??

Did he move all from the Old drive to a LARGER Drive unit and retain the old install as a complete sub directory ?

If so then the Old registry and it's reference to your FSX and everything else can easily be recivered and placed in the new OS installation.

you can export and import individual reg strings too .

What I'm trying to get at is what was the reason for doing this,  because if it was simply to refresh you would have been better off just to GHOST to the new drive and then drop the CD in and repair.

;D

If that was my computer, I'd be using his spherical personal parts for earings !  I've been building computers for ten years,and have my own company as a sideline. I've done numerous "cleanups".

I've never heard of his procedure, I think he made it up on his own. As far as I can see, he made it worse, not better. I agree with the guys, the normal procedure is to ghost the data onto the new drive.

With a good partition copy program, repair isn't even needed. ( Love Maxtor ! )

Personally I'd go back, and speak to his boss. Make them do it right.

Good Luck!

Sue

John I really don't think you need to .

Can we get on Teamspeak and have a chat etc , there is remote admintoo which could be of help in showing you some things to look for and how your directory structure can be protected.

Archived