Increase voltage after OC

rockliffe

Usually the first core works harder than the others so can get a little warmer.  Looks very good.

Actually, tomorrow is 4.0GHz (200Mhz bus speed at 20x multiplier).  You probably will be fine here as well.  I don't expect temps to be a problem, but the speed at that multiplier may take the north bridge higher than will be stable.  The 950 is better at this than the 920 or 930 though, so I expect you will be fine.  Good luck.

I think GPU tweaks bring very minimal improvements, and so generally leave the GPS as set by the manufacturer.  And they tend to be on the warm side at stock settings.  Easy to burn a card out.  I've done a number of comparison tests in FPS in actual games with GPU tweaks and saw almost no real speed improvement. 

Hi guys, I have just increased my CPU frequency to 3.65Ghz and although the system is running stable at 75c it looks as though this is going to be the limit (disappointingly) However, I have not increased the voltage. Is this necessary if you have a stable system or should it be increased anyway? Stock voltage at the moment is 1.500v I undesrtand the i7 chips have a max of 1.65v in the bios the next voltage increase is 1.600v would this be OK to increase it by or should I leave it where it is? If I do need to increase it should it be the Dram Voltage I change? Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me  :)

All memory runs hot to the touch - but not hot enough to fail.  1.657v for the 1600s. [glow=red,2,300]Warning[/glow] The XMP profile could be wrong and will really mess you up.  Search the web for the best timings. 

You may have to run these at below spec (1570) especially at 1T.

Windows Experience Index gives these a rating of 7.9 (highest) running at below spec.

jja

The correct timings you will find on the sticker on the RAM - the correct voltage as well. And you always lock the correct voltage instead of leaving it at auto.

Regarding Speedstep - it will always jump to the higher multi and voltage BEFORE a program starts. The reason why you had (or have) to disable it, is that on some (or most) mainboards it will crash with a high overclock while stepping up. However, it does not crash with the UD3R over here and i did the complete o/c procedure with Speedstep enabled. And when it does work, there is no reason on earth why you should not use this feature which will extend the live span of your CPU, reduce average temps and lower your electric power bill...

Good diagnostic move.  Always good to rule out things.  Could have been a lemon GPU, I suppose, but both of those cards shouldn't create the problems you're describing if operating normally.  I think upgrading memory is the next move. 

The correct timings you will find on the sticker on the RAM - the correct voltage as well. And you always lock the correct voltage instead of leaving it at auto.

Regarding Speedstep - it will always jump to the higher multi and voltage BEFORE a program starts. The reason why you had (or have) to disable it, is that on some (or most) mainboards it will crash with a high overclock while stepping up. However, it does not crash with the UD3R over here and i did the complete o/c procedure with Speedstep enabled. And when it does work, there is no reason on earth why you should not use this feature which will extend the live span of your CPU, reduce average temps and lower your electric power bill...

Speedstep enable can result in lags and stutters.......up to you.

Hi guys, I have just increased my CPU frequency to 3.65Ghz and although the system is running stable at 75c it looks as though this is going to be the limit (disappointingly) However, I have not increased the voltage. Is this necessary if you have a stable system or should it be increased anyway? Stock voltage at the moment is 1.500v I undesrtand the i7 chips have a max of 1.65v in the bios the next voltage increase is 1.600v would this be OK to increase it by or should I leave it where it is? If I do need to increase it should it be the Dram Voltage I change? Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me  :)

This is a typo, there is no way your i7 950 run at 1.5v right now....here is the min. and max. (under Intel spec) for your chip...  0.800V-1.375V

You are probably talking about your memory voltage....

CPU @3.65GHz with temp at 75C?? is this idle or under stress? Do you have a after market CPU cooler?

I run my 860 i7 at 1.5125v and it stays in the 60s-70s.  Intel says that the max is 1.6v.  My system shuts down at that voltage.

jja

Speedstep enable can result in lags and stutters.......up to you.

If i would have lag and stutters it would be off, trust me...  :D

I have the exact same SuperPi time when i start from idle. There is zero delay when you need full throttle. Well, at least over here.

Heiko, I was not saying you did...what I was saying is it may be the cause of one having lag or stutters, it's not 100% sure one will have lag or stutters due to Speedstep been enable but by having all the juice needed to feed your CPU all the time without any fluctuation in voltage (+ > -) you are taking this possibility out of the equation so if one his having lag or stutters he will be looking somewhere else for the culpit if Speedstep is disable.

Hey guys, I did disable the turbo (speedstep?) and am running comfortably at 3.8Ghz with 2.2475V and temps at 65c under load, I have hit my target... as for stutters, I have not been aware of them as before. They do appear some of the time, but previously it was 50% of the time :)  I still have the issue with the loading of textures, Heiko, you commented on them but have not said whether it is normal.

Heiko, I was not saying you did...what I was saying is it may be the cause of one having lag or stutters, it's not 100% sure one will have lag or stutters due to Speedstep been enable but by having all the juice needed to feed your CPU all the time without any fluctuation in voltage (+ > -) you are taking this possibility out of the equation so if one his having lag or stutters he will be looking somewhere else for the culpit if Speedstep is disable.

Yeah and if you don't touch your mouse then you rule out moving your mouse as the cause of lags and stutters.  But then it's not likely that doing so would cause stutters.  Neither is speedstep or similar CPU energy management bios programs.  That's the problem with trying to analyze the dynamics of the interactions of hardware and software just using logic but without really knowing about how these things work. 

We all have stutters, sometimes over some scenery.  I don't know what you mean by lag (that's

usually a MP term). 

Rockliffe's problem isn't stutters (or lag).  It's texture loading.  And I think such a problem is most likely related to memory, not CPU performance, as I've been saying.  But then I don't really know how these things work either.

Thanks Phil, yes, I feel that my original issue has been lost amongst my talk of overclocking, but of course the overclocking was supposed to be the cure for the symptom, which is the delay in drawing of textures. You've been very supportive and that I am very grateful for...

Archived