Aussie Nomad to re-enter production

petejohno

Gippsland aeronautics have announced that they have purchased the rights to manufacture the Nomad from Boeing.

"Gippsland’s plans only include the N24A version, which would be fitted with Rolls-Royce 250B17F II engines, a glass cockpit and new lightweight propellers from Hartzell that would offer better performance and efficiency, and a weight-saving programme including new technology batteries to reduce basic empty weight, says Gary Wight, Gippsland chairman. He says: “There are no outstanding airworthiness issues with the Nomad.â€

You can read the whole article here     http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/06/18/224585/gipplsand-aeronautics-to-restart-production-of-upgraded-nomad-aircraft.html

Finally an Australian Aircraft production industry again ? Maybe the government should start showing some faith in Aussie local industry by way of grants, instead of continuing to offer large handouts to japanese car manufacturers for dead end projects.

If Brazil can do it, surely Australia, with our history of aircraft manufacture, can resurrect our once proud industry. 

Unfortunately, I worked on these piles of dog crap at Oakey Army Aviation Centre and they took us up in them regularly.

Would have to be one of the worst aircraft I've ever flown in.

Maintenance wasn't any better. Who is the idiot that said they were a great aircraft? Didn't see him in the cabin on take-off with the tailplane shaking itself to pieces!!!!

My 0.02c

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Please NO!

This has to be the worst Aircraft I ever flew! even if you replace the Engines( The Allisons were terrible), Instruments (too small to fly on) Pilot's Seat Fixed! (with head in prop arc), Fatigue issues due poor aerodynamic design. What are you going to do about the instability as the flaps run out? The low TAS and Range? and not to mention market perception!

Move on and design a real aircraft for Gods sake.

I feel better now  ;)

Apparently that aircraft that lost it's tail was one of the experimental ones, which had over 1000 hours of ground runs. But because it hadn't done any flight time that put it as 0 hours.

Archived