VFR Operations - Bankstown

pphibbs

Hi Guys, 

This flight sees us taking off from Bankstown Airport (YSBK) for a flight north to Patonga via Paramatta and Hornsby. We then turn east into the beautiful Broken Bay area and track for Barrenjoey Head where we turn south to follow the coast down to Sydney Heads via Newport, Narrabeen, Long Reef and Manly. If you wish to do Harbour orbits, you need clearance to enter CTR at Long Reef. Otherwise you can continue down the coast via the Victor 1 route (not above 500') to Wollongong via Jibbon Point, Wattamulla, Stanwell Park, Thirroul, Corrimal, Wollongong (city), Port Kembla. Finally track to Wollongong airport (at Albion Park) for a full stop landing. 

There are lots of challenges in this flight - GAAP radio procedures, keeping clear of Control Steps, Navigating the route, monitoring Sydney Approach and using Flight Following or Traffic Advisory services, requesting clearance into CTR for Harbour Orbits, Victor 1 Procedures, using CTAF procedures at Wollongong.

WHAT AN EVENT!

I'm requesting the following ATC support for the flight: 

+ Bankstown Tower 

+ Sydney Approach 

The event will be held at the following times: 

Friday 20th June at 8:00pm EST Sydney/10:00z 

Sunday 22nd June at 3:00pm EST Sydney/5:00z 

If you are interested in joining in and currently don't receive my Information Kits for the flight, please send a email to groupflights@virtualVFR.com.

Regards,

Paul Phibbs

VFR Event Manager

VATPAC

Sorry I missed the Friday night meet. I was stuck on the ground with technical difficulties and couldn't get airborne but I did get a chance to see the huge turnout (Including a few Moonies!). Look forward to being there for the flight on Sunday!

Also, a quick ops question to those who did the flight, or are familiar with the area: When and where is best to request CTA entry and or Sydney Harbour orbits when enroute when flying south toward Sydney Heads? I'm guessing well before turning South at Barrenjoey Head as this is less than 3mins flying time before hitting the 1000' CTA step. Forgive me Paul if this is detailed in your infokit, but I'm not sure if we're under control straight away after departing YBSK. Sydney airspace scares me a bit and I don't want a VCA in the real world or virtual one  ;D

Thanks guys!

Steve

I may not be able to make tomorrow's flight - my rudder pedals are coming next week and it is too hard to fly auto rudder with a yoke (plus teaching me bad habits) - I'm still learning about controlled airspace and CTAF as well so I might miss this one and do another Tassie leg the following weekend.

Hi Steve

If you go to this site http://www.airservices.gov.au/pilotcentre/training/flyingaround/default.asp

Then look at the bottom of the page on left hand side you will see the flying around guides for the major cities. The Sydney guide has info on Victor 1 & the harbour orbits. In any case all of the guides are a scource of great value to the VFR flyer.

Now I'm feeling even more embarrassed about not finishing YWOL in time for FTX Freeware 1.2 - hopefully you'll get to do something similar after 1.3 comes out. With Manfred Knorr's objects YWOL is going to be brilliant.

Also, an apology - I'd love to make tomorrow's flight but can't due to other commitments. I hope you all enjoy it. Bankstown - Victor 1 - Wollongong is a great flight and a very nice part of the world (both in FSX and IRL).

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Steve

If you go to this site http://www.airservices.gov.au/pilotcentre/training/flyingaround/default.asp

Then look at the bottom of the page on left hand side you will see the flying around guides for the major cities. The Sydney guide has info on Victor 1 & the harbour orbits. In any case all of the guides are a scource of great value to the VFR flyer.

Thanks for that Billy, I should have thought of the airservices page. Should keep me out of hot water for today's filight..whew.

Thanks for the update Andrew. You probably noticed from my shots of the event that Wollongong looked relatively "sad" compared with the eye candy throughout the flight. We will all look forward to any an all updates you guys release with eager anticipation.

Regarding next weeks flight Tassie Tiger Leg 7 (Launceston to Cambridge), I did the flight last night and it's BRILLIANT! I was totally taken by the scenery that FTX provided and will do it again today to get a series of shots to attract people to the event.

By the way, Launcestion looks great with the 1.2 update - thanks guys. We will be back there again later in the series (an approach from the west from Queenstown).

For those interested in a REWARDING and CHALLENGING flight taking in lots of radio procedures, stunning scenery, navigation and great company, it's on again today at 3:00pm EST/5:00z. ALL WELCOME.

Regards, Paul

Bloody awesome shots there squeeker - I didn't have the radio / procedure knowledge to fly this one but I had a quick circuit around Bankstown while there was ATC active.  Must admit, got that a little wrong but have learnt heaps from the experience (flew a left circuit pattern on runway 11R accidentally and then when I landed instead of taxi-ing off to the right I went left - oops).

Looking forward to the next Tassie leg - looks great from the route Paul has mentioned.

:D

Archived