Overclock not holding after startup...

ggerman

Got a curious problem and wondering if some of the sharper techies here might be able to help!

I've had a 3.8ghz (190x21) overclock on my i7-920 for about 10 months. During that time it's been very stable and I haven't had any major problems related to it.

Lately though, whenever I restart my computer, the overclock will kick in, but after a few minutes, it reverts back to the stock speed. I can watch through RealTemp (which loads on startup) the frequency register as 3.8ghz... but then the TDP reading will start to flucuate between 147 watts (with the overclock) and 43.8 watts (at stock speed) and then the clock speed will finally settle in at the stock frequency of 2.2ghz (189.99x12.0)

I never get crashes or BSDs from instability... it just automatically reverts back to stock speed.

Some things that I DO know:

- My PSU (1000w) is operating normally

- My RAM sticks are all running normally

Any clues on what the problem could be?? CPU overstressed, perhaps?

I'm stumped! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

My system specs are shown in the pics below (it's currently showing the stock frequency):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your NB frequency should be at 2280MHz .....570MHz x 4 = 2280MHz or 1140MHz x 2 = 2280MHz not 3799.9MHz and try to set your rams at 1T.

What is the default timing and MHz on your rams? They should be 1600MHz default right? and what is the timing 8-8-8-24 or 20? so if they are 1600MHz rams you should run them at 1600MHz X 2 = 3200MHz (NB)

Can you give me a link to your rams...newegg?

I've been sitting here monitoring my CPU through OCCT.. and the frequency is all over the place... going from 2280.0 down to as low as 286.0 and up as high as 3800.2

Wacky stuff!  ???

OK first of your rams are 8-8-8-24 1600MHz so go to bios and set them up manually to that so 1600MHz x 2 = 3200MHz  (NB)QPI clock reatio [x36] to get 3200MHz, also make sure all of this is disable....Intel turbo boost tech., CPU multi threading, CPU enhance halt, CPU thermal monitor, CPU eist function...and your CPU should stay at the same speed......let me know...

Ok... I made all of the changes you suggested (Thanks, by the way!) and the OC seems to be holding steady at 3989.8Mzh.... but the RAM still shows 3800... I set them exactly as you suggested... 8-8-8-24

Did I miss something?

Sorry Alain,

I've been away on business the past couple of days and haven't had a chance to really get in work on the RAM.

The OC has been holding steady at 3898.0Ghz, however the RAM setting haven't been as easy to work with. My BIOS will only let me adjust the BCLK to a preset even number (6,8,10,etc..) or to AUTO.

I've been running at 6 an that sets the frequency to 1140hmz. If I up the BCLK to 8, it sets the frequency to 1528mhz... AUTO sets it to 1528mhz also. There's no other way in the BIOS (that I can see) to adjust the DRAM frequency to get 1600mhz. My current RAM settings are 8-8-8-24-2T @ 1528mhz... yet my NB Frequency still shows 3800mmhz ?????

I just don't know enough about RAM settings to be able to eliminate the problem :-\

Also of note... my FSX performance is now INCREDIBLY bad... it stutters horribly and the frame rate (which is and always has been limited to 30fps) is only around 9 - 12 at even the sparsest of airports. I re-built my FSX.cfg and re-applied my CFG tweaks, but it's still not performing anywhere NEAR as good as it was... which was a full 30fps at even the heavy airports.

Going crazy here!!

Something is not right here, BCLK is not CPU multiplier, BCLK will raise or lower the GHz on the CPU as it will at the same time raise or lower the MHZ on the rams.

Here is your bios......    http://techgage.com/article/gigabyte_ex58-ud5/2

On the first screen you can see the base clock BLCK control....enable

BCLK frequency (MHz) ..use 143 to start with.....

Systeme memory multiplier (SPD) use the number who will give you 1600MHz (you may have to raise or lower the BCLK)

Raise the CPU multiplier to be at around 4.00GHz.....

Let me know.....you may have to raise the QPI/VTT a little to have the rams running correctly.....use SuperPI to test your rams....use the 32M test....  http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/366/mirrors.php    if your screen freeze = not stable

Stay with me we'll get you up and running .......

I will be back in about 1 hours

HI Alain,

I was still at the office when I wrote earlier. I just got home and realized that I was saying BCLK in my earlier message when I should have said System Memory Multiplier. ::)

Anyway... i tried what you said and the ONLY way I can get the RAM to 1600mhz is with the default settings for the CPU (i.e. 2.8Ghz with BCLK 133 and SMM set at 10.

It seems impossible for me to overclock the system and have the RAM running st 1600Mhz???

I ran the SuperPI 32M test and had no problems... no screen freeze or anything.

I mem-tested the RAM it it all seems to be running fine.

Maybe I'm still not getting this right, but then I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to messing about with the BIOS settings.

I truly appreciate all of your help and you patience, but I'm kinda stumped on this one!

I don't know what is smm??

OK let's try again.....

Base clock (BCLK) control = enable

BCLK frequency = 200 (or around this number)

Performance enhance = standard

System memory multiplier = find a number where match with BLCK = 1600MHz

QPI link speed = x a number where you will be close to or at 6.4GHz but not over 6.4GHz...stay under 6.4GHz

CPU clock ratio = x a number close to 4.0GHz

As far as 1T, 2T you will find this setting under

Chanel A Timing Settings  [press enter]

Chanel B Timing Settings  [press enter]

Chanel C Timing Settings  [press enter]

With all the right numbers your NB will be at 3200MHz

Let me know what you'r at...

by any chance do you have the speed step option in your performance tab of your bios?  I was having the same problem as you on my computer.  It would power down my CPUs when they weren't needed but the power up was very sporadic and basically brought my comp to its knees when fsx was running.  I turned it off and now it runs like a dream

No speed step setting that I can see...

I've basically given up on this exercise.... I've followed Alain's directions to the letter, but there's simply no way for me to have my RAM running at 1600Mhz AND have the CPU overclocked. I've adjusted nearly every setting I could and the only way to have the RAM running at 1600Mhz is by setting the CPU to stock speed.

Thanks to all who offered advice! I appreciate everyone's input!!

No speed step setting that I can see...

I've basically given up on this exercise.... I've followed Alain's directions to the letter, but there's simply no way for me to have my RAM running at 1600Mhz AND have the CPU overclocked. I've adjusted nearly every setting I could and the only way to have the RAM running at 1600Mhz is by setting the CPU to stock speed.

Thanks to all who offered advice! I appreciate everyone's input!!

Greg, there is no way you can't get these rams at 1600MHz with your CPU 920 overclocked......if you can please post a picture of your bios so I can see what's going on with it, there is something missing here....

Just in case this helps:  I had all sorts of problems running 3.8GHz so I reverted to the 3.2GHz in the quick tuner.  However recently I gave it another shot, as my Noctua cooler fans weren't even turning half the time.

I simply selected 20x in the BIOS CPU multiplier to give 4.2GHz and then used the memory mutiplier to give 1600MHz (8x I believe) no other adjustments at all, no voltage tweaks etc, hit F10 to save.  On bootup it waited for quite a while (20 secs maybe) then went into the normal bootup into Windows and FSX and the whole computer runs superbly at the new setting of 4.2GHz.

I'm not sure why the above posts mention some 3200MHz figure for the RAM, in the Gigabyte BIOS the setting is to 1600MHz using a multiplier, can't remember which setting it was but it's right in front of you when doing the overclock.

PM me if you want screenshots...

Just in case this helps:  I had all sorts of problems running 3.8GHz so I reverted to the 3.2GHz in the quick tuner.  However recently I gave it another shot, as my Noctua cooler fans weren't even turning half the time.

I simply selected 20x in the BIOS CPU multiplier to give 4.2GHz and then used the memory mutiplier to give 1600MHz (8x I believe) no other adjustments at all, no voltage tweaks etc, hit F10 to save.  On bootup it waited for quite a while (20 secs maybe) then went into the normal bootup into Windows and FSX and the whole computer runs superbly at the new setting of 4.2GHz.

I'm not sure why the above posts mention some 3200MHz figure for the RAM, in the Gigabyte BIOS the setting is to 1600MHz using a multiplier, can't remember which setting it was but it's right in front of you when doing the overclock.

PM me if you want screenshots...

3200MHz is the NB....if your rams are 1600MHz the NB should be x 2 that number.....use CPU-Z and look at the number you have under NB.

Archived