Intel vs AMD - oh, and that FFS Saab 340!

mmglads

Hooray! I've finally updated my system from the (quite good really) AMD 5200+ dual core, running at 2.61 GHz to an Intel E8400 core duo running at 3.00 GHz, with a new mainboard as well. Purchased a new HDD, & installed Vista, as I run it for work as well. The difference is simply amazing! I had read in PC User that the 8400 was a good value chip, but I can now run Norton 360 v2.0 (very low impact & does all my backups as well) & all of my other programs, without having to resort to switch programs off - FSX runs like a dream, with good frame rates - even when running Flight Environment X (bought it - couldn't wait for REX!) with it's great cloud & water generator. My old AMD set up would get very noisy as the CPU fan buzzed away to cope with the extra load of FSX, but the Intel is as quiet as a mouse. Good news all round. ;D

The other bit of news is that for those of you who own the Factory Flight Simulations Saab 340, here's a link to get it up & running really well in FSX. THe author is also in touch with the old developers of this now defunct company, & we may have a great Saab in FSX, if they come to the party & do some work on the gauges. The instructions are reaally very good, & it now flies beautifully in Vista. There are a couple of anomalies, but these can be fixed. The Saab 340B (in Regional Express garb) flies regularly in this part of the country, & it's good to see it being resurrected. Here's a link to the forum:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=121&topic_id=439842&mode=full - if you want to get hold of the file, just log in to Avsim.com & search for "FFS Saab 340" - you'll find a heap of helpful files there. Cheers!

I'd have a look at this thread - there are so many opinions about this - but - having buggered about with overclocking in the past (with little real results) - I would save for the fastest I could buy & be happy with that. I'd rather fly with a stable system that didn't "meltdown" after a 3-hour flight as you approach finals! Sorry - no real answer to this one, I guess. Here's the link... http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/920897.html

Good luck with it anyhow. Cheers!

I'm OLD School and of the belief that if the CPU Chip was capable of being reliable at a set speed then it would have been sold as a Processor of that speed,

Reliability is paramount when compared to out right speed.

Oh sorry I HAVE to add the Term is "FINAL" (singular) by the way.

Hi Guys,

Intel are releasing Nehalen in Q4 this year. Initial tests (released today) suggest 20-40% improvement compared with the best Penryn processors. This kind of jump in performance is like that between the old P4 and Conroe processors and is not to be sneezed at.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3326&p=1

Cheers,

Noel.

So, do you know how far away this new possessor is away from being released? If it's not too far away, then probably better to hold off and wait for it because all the old one's will be cheap!?

Nehalen will be released Q4 this year. That means in time for Xmas, baring accidents. Given the likely step change in performance, Nehalen is worth waiting for IF you have the money to also buy a new motherboard and maybe new RAM. It's pretty clear from the article I linked to that Nehalen won't run on current motherboards and by the end of the year DDR3 RAM might be cost effective as well.  DDR2 memory is currently used on most Intel Conroe and Penryn motherboards and (with few exceptions for recent motherboards that support both RAM types) you can't upgrade to DDR3 without changing the motherboard itself. I'd be surprised if the Nehalen motherboards aren't all DDR3 by the end of the year.

So to upgrade to Nehalen you'll need the CPU itself, new motherboard and new RAM. I'm sure there'll be many more reviews that will tell us whether the performance boost is worth the cost.

Cheers,

Noel.

I'm OLD School and of the belief that if the CPU Chip was capable of being reliable at a set speed then it would have been sold as a Processor of that speed,

That's true, but if you upgrade the cooling (fan, or water cooling etc) then overclocking becomes quite viable.

Just my little 2 cents worth - whenever I've tried to oveclock anything at all, even following the detailed instructions, it has all gone horribly wrong, so I'm with Maurice on this one, I think - get a good stable system going & fly, fly, fly!  ;)

If you have to upgrade the cooling then it wasn't adequate in the first place.

But I have also found that my peltier cooling as contributed immensly to the stability and efficiency of my system.

Thanks virtualwombat for that information about Nehalem.  I've been following its development for some time and hadn't read that review.

It's going to mean essentially a new computer.  The CPU, the motherboard, DDR3 RAM, maybe faster HDDs etc.  Maybe even a RAID controller.  And yes, the latest in videocard(s). I am told in other forums that ATi could well have the best by then, but whichever maker we will have at least 1 gig of onboard RAM.  Not mentioning power supply and cooling. I agree that Peltier or other liquid cooling is now going to be standard for us running very fast systems.

I'm really looking forward to it.  I am one of those who doesn't overclock - although I know others do successfully - because I don't have the hardware knowledge to keep it stable. So I always buy the fastest I can afford.

What I really want is a system on which I can run FSX with every slider scale set to high with absolute smoothness.  I always rejected the idea of a scenery-based sim, but the fact is FSX has changed all that.  In real world flying you use real world landscape cues to confirm your position, now Orbx and FSX have made that possible for Australia. The UTs and others elsewhere.  In the heavy iron, it is just great to sit in spot view and watch some great scenery go by but down low on take-off or approach the detailed scenery is just as necessary.  And yes, airports are cluttered places so its good to have ground equipment, and freeways, roads and cars are part of the real world of flying.

Therefore with good fortune and careful buying we may have by the end of the year the hardware that can run FSX effortlessly.

I'm saving.

Archived