Coffs Harbour CTD

mhlarsen

I have now spent the better part of three weeks trying to find the cause of a g3d.dll CTD, and have finally narrowed it down.

It always happen flying from Brisbane to Coffs Harbour, but not e.g. from Coffs Harbour to Brisbane.

I have no CTD if I disable everything in the YSCH Control Panel. The CTD is also fairly consistent at 16-17 nm from Coffs Harbour.

After three uninstall/reinstall of FSX Acceleration and add-ons, I have now only FTX Blue/Gold/Red/Green, Brisbane, Coffs Harbour, Hervey Bay and Tamworth installed (Patches and latest library installed as well).

I have also testet the CTD in relation to my other add-ons, like Weather, ATC and so on, but the CTD happens even with these add-ons turned off.

I am now in the process of testing by gradually enabling more options in the YSCH Control Panel, but its really not much fun.

Anyone have an idea why the Coffs Harbour scenery is giving me these CTDs?

Specs: Win 7 64, i7 975 3.33 (no OC), ASUS PT6 Deluxe,  12 Gb DD5 RAM, ASUS GTX480.

Hi Michael,

there seems to be an issue with Windows 7 that can cause CTD's or other anomalies with heavy loads, fsX is a very demanding program, please try to apply this patch from MS for all windows 7 versions and see if that cures your "issue" => http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=26448.0

also I would check for double textures and or bgl's as that is one of the common causes for fsX to crash as it try's to load the same at the same time and can't decide wich one to get

to give you an idea my ORBX/FTX folder is near 39 Gigs and with all the beta's beeing installed and uninstalled and changes on files for testing I can honestly say that I do not suffer from the issue you are reporting, and my system isn't the latest super dooper rig either by the brief data you provided yours it's way faster than mine here, so if all things are correct you should be able to run FTX without any hassle, while you are at it I'd check if your FrontSideBus of your CPU matches your RAM speed, as example if your RAM is 1600 MHz the FSB should also be set to that otherwise it doesn't make sense spending that amount of money on hardware when it doesn't run properly

Hi Michael,

there seems to be an issue with Windows 7 that can cause CTD's or other anomalies with heavy loads, fsX is a very demanding program, please try to apply this patch from MS for all windows 7 versions and see if that cures your "issue" => http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=26448.0

also I would check for double textures and or bgl's as that is one of the common causes for fsX to crash as it try's to load the same at the same time and can't decide wich one to get

to give you an idea my ORBX/FTX folder is near 39 Gigs and with all the beta's beeing installed and uninstalled and changes on files for testing I can honestly say that I do not suffer from the issue you are reporting, and my system isn't the latest super dooper rig either by the brief data you provided yours it's way faster than mine here, so if all things are correct you should be able to run FTX without any hassle, while you are at it I'd check if your FrontSideBus of your CPU matches your RAM speed, as example if your RAM is 1600 MHz the FSB should also be set to that otherwise it doesn't make sense spending that amount of money on hardware when it doesn't run properly

Wolter,

Thanks I will try this W7 hotfix.

I have checked and verified that no double entry textures exist in YSCH.

Odd thing is that I have a CTD going from a low FPS scenery like YBBN to a medium FPS scenery like YSCH, and never had a CTD going the other way.

As a sidenote, if I install OZx as well I get a CTD enroute to YSCH just south (20 nm) of YBBN, and this disappears when disabling OZx.

Hallo Michael,

I also have the complete OZx AU and NA installed plus another truckload of beta files from OZx and REX for that matter, no problem there either, so there must be something within your fsX setup that is causing this maybe a completely forgotten addon, I don't know as I do not have insight in your system.

Hallo Micheal,

I also have the complete OZx AU and NA installed plus another truckload of beta files from OZx and REX for that matter, no problem there either, so there must be something within your fsX setup that is causing this maybe a completely forgotten addon, I don't know as I do not have insight in your system.

Wolter,

I really appreciate your help and I am sure that the problem is somewhere in my system.

I have read a bit about the hotfix and I am now hesitant about applying it, as I do not really want to reinstall W7 at the moment, if any unwanted incident should occur because of this.

I must admit that after 3 weeks of daily crashing test flights and three full FSX uninstall/reinstall, I simply do not have the time and energy right now to pursue this matter further.

Although I have pre-payed YMML v2, I will move on to other areas of the Flight sim world and hope to have more luck there.

Not being able to use all my Orbx airports as well as the OZx ones, makes this area a no go for me I'm afraid.

Maybe SP2 for Win 7 will come along eventually and solve everything for me  ::)

I'm really sorry to hear that Michael,

Did you apply the MS patch ?

I took a dive at the deepend and applied the patch irrespective of not having issues, I must say I noticed a slightly "snappier" system response and I did not suffer any ill efects from it so, seems to be working OK here without setbacks ;)

I'm really sorry to hear that Michael,

Did you apply the MS patch ?

I took a dive at the deepend and apllied the patch irrespective of not having issues, I must say I noticed a slightly "snappier" system response and I did not suffer any ill efects from it so, seems to be working OK here without setbacks ;)

Wolter,

I finally applied the MS patch and it didn't seem to mess anything up.

So this weekend I will do a couple more test flights and get a final verdict on this situation.

** Fingers Crossed  **

Been following this with interest at OZx also.  Good luck and please report back.

Well, I could not wait, so I did a test flight today.

The YSCH Control Panel was set to enable Airports objects and nothing else.

No crash  ;D

Next test flight will be with all objects enabled except traffic.

I could actually live fine with a situation where only Airport objects were enabled...but I hope that this was the work of the MS patch in general.

Sidenote, I had in fact installed sceneries for another part of the world, which I a year ago actually thought was top notch.

What a disappointment, and it shows how spoiled one gets flying around in Orbx country. The completeness and level of detail in these sceneries is hard to find elsewhere apparently  ;)

Now back to the cockpit  8)

Archived