Multi-screen or TrackIR?

Remko

O well FTX is going to cost me a lot more than just the $30 per region... I have decided to get a new PC so I can experience it all in its top glory  ;D

I'm currently running dual screen but with my 7600GS videocard it doesn't really 'fly'. So, for my new system, I was considering again running multiple screens, or getting one big screen with TrackIR.

What do you think works best, multiple screens, or TrackIR? Or, does someone have experience with using TrackIR AND multiple screens?

Cheers

Remko

3 screens and track IR is WICKED  you look to the left monitor and this  I set to be rear right with the ability to easily look with the eyes any where you need and the same to the right,  I am using a TH2GO Analogue with 3 X 21" Diamond CRT's  from a Core Duo E6850 4GbRAM and nVidia 8800 GTS 512. 

Currently I have a niggeling hardware issue  which I seem to have fixed now so I can get back flying.

Video soon I hope .

I have a Core Duo E6600 with 2Gb RAM and an 8800GTX running 3X22" LCDs quite OK. Since AUBlue hit the ground running I have been using FSX fulltime (instead of FS9) and am stoked by the results. No experience with TrackIR as it may be a bit fiddly for me - but even without Track IR the three screens are well worth the dosh. ;D 

Hotspot

Remko either way you choose to go Track IR is a must have because it will give you the feeling of flying and add so much more to your experience. If your a simmer then TrackIR is a must have or equivalent so if your build a new system and money is a little tight get the biggest monitor and high end monitor you can afford then invest in TrackIR. Once you have done that and seen what TrackIR has done to your experience then think about TH2G or duel monitors because you may find that with a single large wide screen monitor and head tracking that the remainder of the added equipment isn't needed. That is my advice....................

Getting a new screen? Then this is also my advice many folks think getting a big 24" monitor for $250 bucks is great but let me warn you you get what you pay for. No graphics card will ever make a cheap monitor look like a Rolls Royce and because the monitor is something you will look at all day for every application and game buy quality and research even if it means waiting to spend the extra bucks. I see so many folks buying cheap wide screen monitors then blame the game or there graphics card for looking like a drunks breakfast when in fact it's the monitor that has poor contrast ratio and response speed along with bleeding around the edges. PSU's and monitors tend too be something most folks cheap out on and it ruins there PC using experience.

Mate,

Sell the house, sell the dog, sell the missus, cause you just gotta have both, trust me

Posted Image

My trusty rig, before I went to three 22" LG's (sold the dog for those......the missus is a bit worried about my next upgrade)

Frank

Thanks for your input guys! Looks like the TrackIR is the way to go, with either one or many screens. I might even get this then before I get my new PC!

Hotspot, your say you run 3x22†LCD. Are you using Matrox TripleHead2Go for that? If so, I thought that the max resolution per monitor was 1280x1024, but a 22†LCD must have a higher native resolution than that?

Frank – nice setup. Love the ‘emergency eject disconnect’ pull-cable between your ‘rudder pedals’  :D

Yeah, Remko, when you connect the Matrox triple head the 'display settings' dialogue box (via 'Control Panel') shows a resolution scale which adjusts up to 3840 x 1024 pixels (three times 1280) with a color choice of 16 or 32 bits. I run mine very smoothly at 16 as it stutters a bit on the higher setting. There appears to be no difference in the color quality between the two settings, and the LCD's (which cost only $330 each) are as clear and bright as, with no display dramas. This setup has been running for fourteen months now - all OK - not overclocked. I get good frame rates using the Microsoft aircraft (haven't any addons yet) with only the AI sliders at zero, but the frame rate drops back to 18 - 20FPS at major airports. My next upgrade will be a better CPU and probably an SLI mobo with two cards to handle more AI and more detailed aircraft, and who knows - it may include a Track IR - you'll be able to advise me on that when the time comes. ;)

Hotspot

TrackIR is definately the way to go. It allows you exactly the same views that you can get sitting in a "rea[" aircraft.

But for the home pilot there can be problems.

Firstlly you must be positioned somewhere where you don't have windows or lights visable to trachir. Any ambient light will show up on your monitor.

Secondly you must be able to sit perfectly still. Just moving your head alightly to follow the view. If you turn around to look at something else ,or even to light a cigarette you will have to re-focus. I have found that even if I look at my no.2 monitor, when I come back to no.1 I am flying upside down or at some other impossable angle.

If, like me, you can't sit perfectly still , forget TrackIR. It causes so many frustrations it takes the fun out of flying.

On the other hand if you can follow it's requirements it is a great utility. It even allows yo views ot things you can't see, and don't need to see, in a "real" aircraft.

Some people never fly without it. Others hate it.

I have found the best set up, for me, is to get a 22" wide screen monitor and a 19". The 22 is the aircraft and the 19  carries navigation and radio instraments etc.

TrackIR is definately the way to go. It allows you exactly the same views that you can get sitting in a "rea[" aircraft.

But for the home pilot there can be problems.

Firstlly you must be positioned somewhere where you don't have windows or lights visable to trachir. Any ambient light will show up on your monitor.

Secondly you must be able to sit perfectly still. Just moving your head alightly to follow the view. If you turn around to look at something else ,or even to light a cigarette you will have to re-focus. I have found that even if I look at my no.2 monitor, when I come back to no.1 I am flying upside down or at some other impossable angle.

If, like me, you can't sit perfectly still , forget TrackIR. It causes so many frustrations it takes the fun out of flying.

On the other hand if you can follow it's requirements it is a great utility. It even allows yo views ot things you can't see, and don't need to see, in a "real" aircraft.

Some people never fly without it. Others hate it.

I have found the best set up, for me, is to get a 22" wide screen monitor and a 19". The 22 is the aircraft and the 19  carries navigation and radio instraments etc.

Put ";" (without quotes)in front of each of the following lines line to disables it "Dynamic Head Movement" which is found in the FSX.cfg in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX.

;[DynamicHeadMovement]

;LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000

;LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000

;RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000

;YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000

;RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000

;MaxHeadAngle=5.000000

;MaxHeadOffset=0.300000

;HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

Next take the time to set your response curve because if your having to reset so often then your profile isn't right and while I agree looking around your desk will upset TrackIR if you have your profile right this issue is less of a problem. There is no need to sit still if you have it setup right so again just spend more time programming the profile to hit the sweet spot. Light is less of an issue if you have the track clip pro so those wanting to get TrackIR make sure you get the pro clip and register that device in the options.

:D OK you all convinced me and I just ordered one (including the Pro Clip). I'll need some time anyway to decide which videocard, motherboard, CPU etc. etc. Thanks all for your excellent feedback!

Remko

:D OK you all convinced me and I just ordered one (including the Pro Clip). I'll need some time anyway to decide which videocard, motherboard, CPU etc. etc. Thanks all for your excellent feedback!

Remko

If your an Aussie Remko use this link http://www.staticice.com.au/ and type in TrackIR Pro then look for the "Ultra Pack" to find the cheapest price before placing your order............... BTW good luck your not going to be disappointed.

Thanks mate! I'm not a true blue Aussie but almost feel like one, having lived here for 10 years now. And I actually did use the static ice site! I'll let you know my findings...

Cheers

Remko

Archived