Moving data to new PC. Has anyone use Laplink's PC Mover Home?

Brumby

I'm expecting my new PC this week - Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS. Now for the chore of moving everything over from my old PC - Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

Found a  program called PC Mover from Laplink which claims to be able to move programs as well as settings, files, etc.to the new PC.

Seems like it would save a lot of time and hassle if what they claim is true. The reviews I've read seem positive.

Has anyone used it in the past? I'd appreciate your comments.

You are better off using the Windows Migration wizard to do this BUT in all honesty moving fron Virus (I mean Vista) it Winblows 7 your going to be better using manpower by following the same structure you have now and reinstall every thing.

The reason being is there are different driver's for many things and if the new PC is coming preloaded with no Driver or OS disks (I took a Company to court for NOT providing Backup disks in case of HDD Failure and won - I paid for the OS I should get the OS on CD/DVD as you would normally) , being  an OEM version it may be less likely to be compliant with migration.

Hope this helps.

Before FSX I used to drag my old MSFS folder across and replace all the files into the new install, and everything would work.  But now with FSX the scenery settings and control assignments etc are stored elsewhere, and by the time I figure out how to sort it all out it's nearly as quick to just spend the time and reinstall everything.

The beauty of a new install is that all the old orphan files and redundantcies that you may have accumulated will be gone!

Archived