Perth OD (2 pics)

Derek McAllan

G'day all,

Finally got Overdrive installed and am playing around with the settings.  Here's my first Overdriven outing, a quick dawn VFR hop from Rottnest Island into Jandakot with some unsettled summer weather.  I've ditched the Shader 3.0 water settings for a bit, to try out FSWC.  REX settings were - Sky: Outback Morning, Clouds: Cumulus 63 and Cirrus 33, Waves: Unwavering and I darken the water a touch for a bit of realism.  Let me know what you think  :)

Posted Image

Departing Rottnest Island and setting course 102 for the Port of Fremantle.  Interesting Trivia:  The telephone area designation for Rottnest Island used to be 292 (Rottnest numbers are 9292-xxxx now) which just happens to be the course to steer when departing from the Fremantle Heads to arrive at Thompson's Bay on Rottnest  :)  Methinks whoever set the area designations in Perth was a bit of a sailor.

Posted Image

Approaching the Port of Fremantle from Rottnest Island, City of Perth poking up over Kings Park to the Left and the Darling Range in the distance.

Cheers,

Derek

Omg .... been there, done that ....

Both I and the world were much younger then ... I visited some friends in Perth in 1984, 1987, 1989.

Used to stay in Barrisdale Rd, near Garden City. I remember going to Rottnest Island with a group of italian students ... There was a single fast food there, and someone had just bought the last sandwich on the whole island, only to see it stolen from his hands by a seagull .... I also remember going out with the dog for walkies and fighting magpies ... And sailing in the Swan river with the black swans, and a girl I met somewhere near the Mall, she was a waitress in a bistro ... her name was Paula. Oh well ... can't believe it's been more than 25 years now.

Would you send me some pictures of Perth? King's Park, Cottesloe beach (where I found out that the Ocean can be QUITE cold in October), Hay street, maybe even Barrisdale Road, where I used to stay at number 42 ... Canning Bridge, the river, the Esplanade ...

Sorry 'bout that, I just happen to be in love with Perth, and who knows, maybe one day I'll convince my wife to pack up and come there to stay. Are houses very expensive? something near the beach maybe ....

Bye from Rome

Andrea

Thanks guys!!

I should mention that I had the low level vis set to 10sm in REX, hence the haze.  But that's about all that's ever visible in RL anyway.  The sky colours are nothing like what we get in Perth, but I'm loving them anyway.

Andrea - Perth is a different place today compared to what it was in the 80's, it's much much bigger and much more populated for a start.  It's still as beautiful as ever, and the rest of the country still reckon it's not a real city, but hey - technically Perth is larger than New York.  Rottnest is still the same, except Thompson's Bay has some more business in the settlement - there's a couple of decent cafe's there now, the bakery is as good as ever and there's still only the one fast food outlet.  As far as living here, it's bloody expensive.  Houses are the most expensive in the country and I read somewhere that housing prices in Perth are among the highest on the planet.  Mostly this is due to our resources industry - we're also among the most highly paid population in Australia, with lots of people reliant on the mining industry (including me!!)  I'm not much of a photographer these days, so can't help you out there but if you download Google Earth, there's tons of Panoramio photos linked.  Cottesloe Beach is still as awesome as ever, same with Scarborough and Mullaloo... the best beaches in the world.

Cheers,

Derek

• 2 months later...

hello Derek!!

They are both absolutely wonderful - super settings - i really, really enjoyed them!!! And then... the flare lense tops it!! :o :o

Thank You very much for sharing!!

but ... one question: did You use FSWC for "darkening" the water as You mentioned - or did You do this within the REX menu?

have some great more flights into Perth´s surroundings!!

moonman

Thanks folks  :D

moonman:  I darken the water in REX.  I drop the setting for brightness by about five pips on the scale for ocean and inland water, and about three pips for tropical water.  Having spent the majority of my working life on, in, under and around the water I find the default colour settings in REX to be too bright, especially for deep water.  I've given up on FSWC as I get better performance and images with the Shader3.0 mod... particularly with Bojote's newest WaterConstants.xml file, edited to my liking for reflections.  I'll post a couple of examples in another post shortly.  Thanks for the interest!

Cheers,

Derek

Thanks folks  :D

moonman:  I darken the water in REX.  I drop the setting for brightness by about five pips on the scale for ocean and inland water, and about three pips for tropical water.  Having spent the majority of my working life on, in, under and around the water I find the default colour settings in REX to be too bright, especially for deep water.  I've given up on FSWC as I get better performance and images with the Shader3.0 mod... particularly with Bojote's newest WaterConstants.xml file, edited to my liking for reflections.  I'll post a couple of examples in another post shortly.  Thanks for the interest!

Cheers,

Derek

Thank You for the information Derek!!

Okay Shader 3.0 i see... maybe i will try Bojote´s out as well in the near future!! But for now Thank You very much once again for the info!!

have some great flights over some great water!!

moonman

Archived