Help with Sound Issue after new Samsung 37" 1080 install

cthiggin2

Hello folks,

I have encountered a problem that I am just lost on.

I just installed a new Samsung 37" 1080 Monitor, connecting from my nVidia 285 GTX with a DVI to HDMI to the TV - which has a dedicated HDMI port for the pc.  All was well with a very superb picture.

I also used a patch cord from my on-board sound card on the 790i FTW to a dedicated sound-in on the TV.

At first, I had no sound period.  I finally went to my nVidia CP and disabled the HDMI-HDTV in my resolution tab and viola, I had excellent sound.

My hobby is FSX, which I always use in "full-screen mode".  I started up a flight, which always comes up in "windowed-mode", sound was fine, BUT, as soon as I went to full screen mode, the sound flat quit.  I went back to windowed-mode, still no sound.  I finally went back to the nVidia CP and "enabled HDMI-HDTV sound, applied, then "dis-abled it again, and the sound came back fine - BUT ONLY in windowed mode.

What on earth is causing this?

Your help would be most appreciated.

Tom

Hello pmanhart,

That's exactly what it sounds (no pun intended) like to me as all was perfectly well and the only change is the new tv.

I've looked at the tv settings and can't find anything that "I" think pertains to it self-adjusting.

PS I'll tell you one thing - going from a 22" monitor to a 37" tv is just phenomenal.  Man, the quality is superb, in fact, I think better than my dedicated monitor -

AND the greatest payoff - it's so big it's like being in a real cockpit.

I'll check further and post back.  Thanks for your reply.

Tom

pmanhart,

Well, I went to the tv speaker settings and turned off "auto volume" that eliminates loud commercials on tv, but that didn't do anything to rectify the problem

I've used full screen mode for FSX as it gives me 7-10 more fps's and a smoother flight.

I'll continue to research and call Samsung if need be.

Thanks so much and have a blessed one.

Tom

Spirit Flyer,

Thanks so much for your reply. Never thought about the freeing up of cpu cycles.  Learn / relearn something new all the time.

I'm going to call Samsung this evening and see if they know?? what may be causing it.

I'll also check my mb and see if I have a slot available and if so, go with a sound card and evaluate it.

Boy, a large screen sure makes the difference in flying.

I'll post back in a couple of days.

Have a blessed one.

Tom

Spirit Flyer,

Wanted to ask you a question?

How are you connected from your pc to tv???

At the nVidia Forums, they are saying when you go from a DVI-HDMI cable, that you are getting a sound signal and interferes and that the nVidia Control Panel "thinks" that you should be getting a signal as if an HDMI - HDMI setup, which of course sends both video and sound? -  I am going straight from my audio out on pc to the dedicated audio in on the tv.

Let me know and thanks.

Tom

Posted Image

Hi Tom,

I hook the TV directly to the back of the video card the same way I would a regular LCD monitor using a HDMI TO DVI Cable similiar to the one shown here:

Posted Image

All sound comes through the Bose sound system which is plugged into my sound card. In my W7 sound settings I made the sound card (Bose) speakers my default sound playback as follows:

Posted Image

The TV sound system is irrelevant since it is not turned on in the operating system and Nvidia is only processing the video feed. If you install a sound card and speakers it will work exactly the same way. Problem solved!

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer,

First, very nice and pretty setup.

I had my 22" monitor and separate speakers setup like yours, but was using the on-board Reaktek audio.  It worked fine.

Due to space containment, I'm wanting to use the tv speakers - which, believe it or not, sound pretty darn good.

Do you think that by adding a sound card it would eliminate the problem / or / due to the fact I'm using the tv speakers, that the added signal from the dvi-htmi

would still present the problem???

Again, some of the folks at nvidia have used a register workaround and solved the problem, but on older nvidia drivers and older larger tv's - still the very same problem I have,

but vintage 2008.

Let me know what you think and thanks so very much.  Again,  nice setup.

Tom

Good morning Spirit Flyer,

UPDATE:

Did a workaround posted on nVidia Forums with a registry entry that "fooled" nVidia CP and now it shows DVI-HDMI in connections and "viola", sound is perfect, no resets, and I have

FSX full screen mode with sound.

We have some pretty smart fellows out there, including you!

Thanks for your interest and help.

Have a blessed day.

Tom

Good morning Spirit Flyer,

UPDATE:

Did a workaround posted on nVidia Forums with a registry entry that "fooled" nVidia CP and now it shows DVI-HDMI in connections and "viola", sound is perfect, no resets, and I have

FSX full screen mode with sound.

We have some pretty smart fellows out there, including you!

Thanks for your interest and help.

Have a blessed day.

Tom

Hi Tom,

That is great that you found the workaround. Do you have a link for it in case someone else is reading this thread and needs to do the same thing? For the most part, everone here must be somewhat proficient at these things or they would take up crossword puzzles, botany or knitting instead of MSFS. Blessings to you too.

Kind regards,

Archived