Request: Mid-Sized Domestic Commercial Airports

yallu

Here's a request for a new class of airports for Orbx to do. For now, most Orbx payware airports are either really small or really big. I'd like to see something in the middle being done. Airports for the J41s, ATRs, Fokkers, Dashes, 135/145s, mayby even 737s/319s etc. etc. Airports that are not too big (especially) FPS wise but still big enough to fly with small passenger jets and turboprops. Of course, some areas just don't have those kind of fields, but whenever on opportunity arises... These kind of fields might even prove to be more popular than the very small ones as they can be used for both GA and commercial flights.

Any chance? :)

Well a few of these exist, most notably places like YSCH Coffs, YMAV Avalon, YHBA Hervey Bay, YSTW Tamworth, YCNK Cessnock etc.

There are also the freeware fields, such as YPMQ Port Macquarie which are similar.

But in terms of airfields for PNW, not yet.

I do agree that those fields are quite nice, for example I like using YSTW Tamworth for both GA flying down to the coast as well as jet flights to nearby airports. Maybe in the future ORBX could consider doing a couple of these.

Well a few of these exist, most notably places like YSCH Coffs, YMAV Avalon, YHBA Hervey Bay, YSTW Tamworth, YCNK Cessnock etc.

There are also the freeware fields, such as YPMQ Port Macquarie which are similar.

Indeed, I am not sure if the OP noticed these airports in our lineup, and indeed another one, YMLT Launceston freeware.

And we have more planned, such as YSCB Canberra, YMEN Essendon and we've also made a start on YMMB Moorabbin even though progress is slow on that one at the moment.

With regards to PNW, it basically comes down to two things - availability of quality aerial imagery we are allowed to license or use, and ground level access to take photos airside and landside.

The reality is, that in post 9/11 North America, getting photo access is nearly impossible at these mid-sized airports due to the sensitivity of airport management. It's much easier (believe it or not) to get access at smaller GA airports, and in some cases, larger international airports.

That said, we'll keep trying :)

YMLT and YPMQ are one of my favorites. I guess I need to consider the other aussie domestic airports... :) But TBH I'm much more interested in US based fields, mostly because there are so many other 3rd party tools available for US only (like flightaware, simroutes etc. etc.) that make it all so interesting.

But thanks, let's hope some day we'll get some mid-sized airports available for US as well. :)

Archived