PCU battle

Jason

If you had the choice, which one would you choose?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the choice, which one would you choose?

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU, 3.0 GHz, FSB 1333MHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 45nm, Socket LGA775
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU, 2.40 GHz, FSB 1066MHz, 2x4MB L2 Cache, Socket LGA775

Self explanatory really, I am looking at an upgrade, these 2 are my choices, wanted to know what would be best for overall FSX performance, does 2 faster cores perform better than 4 slower ones? does it matter? so on, feel free to leave opinions behind your votes, but not required

I call the 8400

the 8400 has 45nm wiring, thus meaning that it can be overclocked to the higher frequencies without the need for hugely excessive cooling.

this processor is part of the family and known as codname: Wolfdale.

Soon the New Nehalem processors will come out. these ones you can overclock the snot out of.

but for now, definetly the 8400

Having had both, I am sure my quad runs faster and I get better frame rates than the dual core.

I guess the debate will rage and everyone has a different idea as to the pro's and cons of them both,

but for my money I'd never go back to a dual core.

Frank

I just upgraded from an E6600 @ 3.2Ghz to a Q6600 easily overclocked @ 3.2 Ghz as well. Do not expect more FPS but the two extra cores are magic : less stutters (nearly none) and MUCH FASTER texture loading. Quadcore is the way as long as you add a decent CPU cooler and thermal paste. With a rather cheap OCZ Vendetta, OCCT gives me a max of 65°C per core (1 hour run, all 4 cores at 100% ). Using FSX, temperatures never go higher than 56°C so heat is not a issue.

Jean-Paul   

I just upgraded from an E6600 @ 3.2Ghz to a Q6600 easily overclocked @ 3.2 Ghz as well. Do not expect more FPS but the two extra cores are magic : less stutters (nearly none) and MUCH FASTER texture loading. Quadcore is the way as long as you add a decent CPU cooler and thermal paste. With a rather cheap OCZ Vendetta, OCCT gives me a max of 65°C per core (1 hour run, all 4 cores at 100% ). Using FSX, temperatures never go higher than 56°C so heat is not a issue.

Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul, thank you for the input. I presently am running these specs on an HP Pavilion (Q6600-2.4 Ghz-3 Gig Ram, Nvidia 8400 GS,  32 bit, Home Pre.,640 Gig HD. Not being a custom made CPU, I'm not sure how good the cooling system is, tho I've only noticed upper "60's"-- most of the time lower. Would "3.2 Ghz" be max in your opinion?  Also, I've never tried "overclocking"...how is this accomplished?

Thanks much,

Joseph L.

AU BLUE... 4066

AU GOLD... 6466

Hi Joseph,

Here is a link to a thread at anandtech concerning overclocking a Q6600 which might be useful. Concerning temperatures, you can download OCCT here and check the performance of the cpu cooler. To be on the safe side, under load, the core temperatures should never exceed 70°C.

But before overclocking, even if FSX CPU bound, you might consider  trying another video card. Check this  chart at Tom's Hardware. Even if you should take these benchmarks with a grain of salt, your computer will only be as fast as its weakest component.

Jean-Paul

Archived