Buying REX

Bassman

Before buying products I try and get as much info as I can. I have looked at the manual avaliable here and have  questions . Ok, I will get to the points;  before I buy REX

1. Do I start FSX first or REX? I don't like to have other programs running with FSX as I want as much memory computing power etc available for the FSX program. i.e. I got rid of Norton anti virus in favour of AVG because AVG is a smaller program.

What impact upon the processing does REX have, presuming it has to run at the same time? Also, reading the manual, I don't think I will be using the weather engine, does that impact upon which programme is started first?

2. Can I have both .netFramework 2.0 and 3.5 on my system as the manual seems to indicate that I must have 2.0? this could be a problem as many programs seem to require 3.5.

3. What is this Simconnect that many seem to have problems with? I have googled it but nobody actually states what it does and if it is needed if I don't use a network? All there seems to be are problems and how hard it is to fix them. I have looked at many forums and I have to say that this problem seems to get more than it's fair share when using REX even though it would appear that it is not necessarily directly related to REX?

Sorry for all the questions but I always do my research.

I have also posted this on the REX forum however with FTX being the best forum on the planet ;D ;D ;D I thought I would double my chances of a quick reply.

Cheers  Dan

Guest J van E

1. You don't have to run REX at ALL as soon as you've installed the textures you like, specially if you don't want to use the weather engine (in which case you may have to run REX everytime, but even that is not necessary). I only run REX whenever I want to try other textures for sky or water or whatever. Months can pass by in which I fly FSX almost daily but don't open REX even once. Simply said: REX is an interface to install new textures into FSX and as soon as that's done, those new textures will stay on FSX no matter what. You may even uninstall REX completely and those new REX textures will still be in FSX. So no problems here.

2. Software requirements like these are always backwards compatible, meaning that you need at LEAST version 2.0. If you have 3.5 right now, every program that needs an older version will also work with it. You do not need to install an older version (which btw probably is impossible to do!) so no problems here either!

3. Simconnect is used to connect addons with FSX. I suppose the REX weather engine works using Simconnect. I never had problems with Simconnect and if you aren't going to use the weather engine but just the textures from REX, you certainly will nog have any problems here too. (Maybe the REX flight planner uses Simconnect somehow too, I really don't know, but I also don't know anyone who uses the REX flight planner...)

So... no problems at all: BUY IT!!! ;D

I bought it just a few days ago.  It took me a bit to figure out how the interface worked even though I did ready "most" of the manual. 

It took me several tried to get the water textures the way I liked.  Trial and error, load a set in, fly around a bit, then try another set and so on.

I love the weather engine and the clouds are spectacular.

It was the promise of the new HD cloud textures that sucked my into giving this software a try.

I highly recommend it.

cheers.

Archived