Overclokking GTX 480

brianos007

Hello Guys.

I was supriced how good the 480 gtx overclocks.

I did a mild overclock at low voltage. ;D

The program i used as many do, is MSI Afterburner here you can download the latest version 1.6.1.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-1.6.1-download-2562.

Core voltage 1.100

Core clock 850

Schader clock 1700

Memory clock 1900

Fan speed auto.

This is a mild overclock witch makes a hell of a difference if you run a benchmark ;D

You can go even faster witout any problems .Watch the temps  ;D

I have a Antec 900 case with a 120mm fan blowing on the side of the card so no heat problems.

Even on higher overclock speeds.

Mild overclock ?  lol  ;D

Which stress test are you using ? Try Furmark fullscreen with some AA to see black smoke leaving the back of your case...

LOL, The core clocks don't mind those numbers too much but the memory is pretty much maxed out already at stock. Bruce, a member of the Back Country prop Club has a 980X CPU and two water cooled 480 GTX's in SLI OCed to 950Mhz, and says they are perfectly stable! That is serious horsepower...

Kind Regards,

Nice clocks brianos007

I have mine at 800/1600/2115 @1.1V tested and stable, and I did these settings straight off the bat. I also noticed the fan noise is good under FSX as it doesnt utilise the full potential of the card and does not get hot but if I try other games like ArmaII , Crysis or metro 2033 the fan becomes loud you see 100% GPU usage for the card in these types of games.

Hi guys

I see in your Sig(Heiki). you have almost the same settings on your 480 ;D

This is a mild overclock in my eyes.

Dos 480s are overclockable with the right cooler you cant imagine.

My Antec 900 have 8 vents at full power its stays really cool.

A bit noisy i admit but when flying you wont notice ;)

Like Steven said a beast of a card wit a lot of potential

The stress test i used was the one from MSi.

I will try the one you mentioned but i dont see any problems ;D

If it blows and going up in vapor i let you guys now ;)

Grtz

Strange.

While I will gladly overclock the heck out of my CPU, graphics card overclocks always make me nervous!

It seems that too often the way you find out that you are too high is when the artifacting begins, and all to often, its too late after that and people wind up returning their cards for RMA while attempting to look innocent!  ;D

Dos furmark work on a 64 bit system i went to there site and all the downloads are for the 32 bit op systems.

Yep, works for me with Win 7 64 bit.

For me it's as far as it goes with default voltage. At < 60 C i have a huge headroom regarding temps but i won't increase the voltage - i am planning to keep it a while without degrading... The current performance is more than sufficient.

Hi Heiko.

I give it a try on my win 7 64 bit ;D

You are right wat you are saying about the 480 GTX (The current performance is more than sufficient.)

I even think a 470 GTX is the best GPU to go with a I7 93O OC let's say At 4.2 ghz.

A 480GTX will perform even better on the top of the I7 980 OC  of course.

This is my opinion  but i think i will not be far of 8)

I have the bad habit of trying to overclock(It's a sort of a addiction) ;)

Grtz

Archived