Ketchiken Harbour to Stewart in a DeHavilland Canada Amphibian

John York

You may like to try this quite beautiful Alaska flight taken from the old FS2004 Official Guide Book.  The trip is quite short, about 69nm.  I've no pictures I'm afraid because frankly, its scary if you fly it the way I just did. Its a water take off and it needs to get up to plenty of height to turn roughly north and get over the Snowy Mountains.  Once over them, you find the river. Turn left losing height gradually all the way following the river valley with the mountains rising above on either side, at many times too close for comfort.  I for one was too busy to fiddle with the 'V' key but one of you real experts might get some really good shots along here.

There's also a road that runs all the way to Stewart alongside the river.

The runway for this route is 18 and someone planted conifers just off the front edge!  In the book, it tells you to travel east over the Mountains which gives an easier  approach to runway 36 along the wider river which is also landable.  However, Stewart has a hard surface.

John

This will be a great flight once ORBX/FTX release their upcoming "Pacific Fjords" addition. Currently, I only have UTX scenery for me up in this area. And since Misty Fjords was FS9 scenery and I've moved to FSX, I've not flown up here for awhile. The "Pacific Fjords" FTX scenery will be adjacent and compliant with "Tongass Fjords" for FSX so that's going to be a huge plus. Then I'll take the time to revisit Misty Fjords done in ORBX/FTX quality.

Can't wait!!

Brad

Yes, well,  I feel I must come clean on this one.  I have the GEX/UTX combo for Alsaka coupled with SceneryTech and to be truthful, put the article in the wrong forum!  It was supposedly for GEX! :-[

I claim idiocy brought about by old age and a stupifying natural ability to bugger things up! ;);D

But you have helped because I have been wondering whether to get Tongass Fjords or wait for FTX to extend up into Alaska.  Truth is, I wasn't sure if they would overlap.  As it seems they won't I might get it towards the end of the month.

UK2000 are bringing out the airports for the 3rd area (north) of England and Wales Horizon Photographic Scenery later this week so I will be busy cancelling out the airports

in  that so as to keep the excellent freeware ones I've already got for that area. 

This issue will mean that the whole of England and Wales will have every airport accurately and specially made for the photo scenery.  A really major undertaking when you consider that not only were the FSX default airports nothing like the real ones, they were all, without exception in the wrong bloody places! ::)

John

Archived