Seeking bufferpool value

TenBlade

Not too long ago one of you posted a BP value that was perfect for your GTX 285. I didn't get around to taking down the number. And I want to try it out.

I tried to relocate that post, but no luck. Anyone knows the  figure or which thread it was in?

B

Have tried many different recommendations from different posts.  Following works best for my Gigabyte GTX275 1G which is recognized as GTX285 due to some sort of OC come with the board by default.

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[bufferPools]

PoolSize=1000

[GRAPHICS]  // ===================================

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1    // Must use with PoolSize

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=1024    // Must use with PoolSize

// HIGHMEMFIX=1    //  This one is optional.  Currently it is not active in my CFG

I also have the following changes in Terrain

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=400

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1000

Above setting gives me the smoothiest flysim I can get from my i7 930 OC to 3.9G.  I basically have this for all my simflights.

Tom

Yes, BP is very system sensitive.  I've tried SO many different settings, including poolsize=0 (which gave too many anomalies for me), in two different systems, with very different results with each.  I have a 275 card now, and Stephens alternate tweak didn't work well for me.  I use a poolsize=50000 now.  That seems to give my system the best combination of smoothness, fps boost, and no anomalies.  It's close to the improvement of poolsize=0 but without the problems.  I don't pretend to understand any of this.  My suggestion is to try different settings and find what your system likes.  I experimented by factors of 10 (i.e. 5, 50, 500, etc.).

Guest J van E

There indeed doesn't seem to be a perfect setting for BP: everyone seems to 'like' another number... I have an GTX285 and use BP=0: it's the only number that gives me smooth performance around the Orbx PNW addon airports. I sometimes get weird graphics but that's easily solved by switching to windowed mode and back again. I do not use any other tweak at all (like allow_shader or stale_buffer etc.).

In short: you will have to find your own number. ;)

Have tried many different recommendations from different posts.  Following works best for my Gigabyte GTX275 1G which is recognized as GTX285 due to some sort of OC come with the board by default.

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[bufferPools]

PoolSize=1000

[GRAPHICS]  // ===================================

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1    // Must use with PoolSize

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=1024    // Must use with PoolSize

// HIGHMEMFIX=1    //  This one is optional.  Currently it is not active in my CFG

Tom

You do NOT need a poolsize value to enable ALLOW_SHADER_30=1, that just tells the engine to use the shader model 3 mod, they are not even listed in the same config value.

The Highmemfix is pretty much a must if you do not want black squares around your lights whilst panning around aircraft in spot view or slow loading liveries on AI planes at airports.

I also use the same value as Griphos for Bufferpools:

[bufferPools]

RejectThreshold=50000

you get to render to the graphics card quickly, but with enough of a buffer to stop random texture spikes and artifacting.

Well, as many said here, the setting and combination vary from system to system.  My tweaks were developed after hours and hours of testing by adding one after another to the bare fsx.CFG.  All suggestions could be a starting point to search for the optimal to one's own, anyway. 

With the latest driver and 2 gtx 480s, BP=0 is working great.

Are your lights flickering when you turn on the PC ?  ;D

I also use the same value as Griphos for Bufferpools:

[bufferPools]

RejectThreshold=50000

Hmmmm... he is using Poolsize and you are using Threshold, i think that's not exactly the same. But you gave me the idea to try this threshold as well because 98304 still produces a hiccup here and there with the 480 (it didn't with the 280, go figure...).

With the latest driver and 2 gtx 480s, BP=0 is working great.

Are your lights flickering when you turn on the PC ?  ;D

Ha! maybe a couple steaks and bake potatoes cooking while flying!! :P

Hmmmm... he is using Poolsize and you are using Threshold, i think that's not exactly the same. But you gave me the idea to try this threshold as well because 98304 still produces a hiccup here and there with the 480 (it didn't with the 280, go figure...).

Archived