I've mastered FSX

jgruschow

At last I have a machine that is fast enough to run FSX the way it shoukd be run.

Temperatures: Idles in high twenties. Runs FSX in high 40's. Highest recorded temp i've seen is 65. It is about 20 degrees  cooler than my previous computer.And fan speed is set to minimum! GPU temp constant 79. Room temp is about 26. So if I turned the heater off it would probably run even cooler.

Noise: Almost silent. All I hear are the fans.

FPS: Locked to 25 and seldom gets below this. In the notorious fps eater places it drops to about 15 briefly. And this is with all sliders set to maximum.

Auto-gen scenery: No trees etc. appearing in stages. Everything is in place as far ahead as the eye can see.

I did a test flight around Tasmania for about an hour with my speed set to 16x. Surprisingly very little change in view and no increase in temp.

I have not made any changes to fsx.cfg. Don't think I will.

An observation: To all those who have told me that FSX does not recognise SLI, RUBBISH ! I have tried running both video cards separately and together in SLI. There is a definate improvement in SLI.

Win 7's performance chart gives four readings of 7.9. The fifth one (hard disk) is 6.5. This is much the same as I was getting with the SSD drive.

I have 2 26" monitors.

My only dislike. All the xmas tree lights inside the case and the perspex wondow.

CPU: Intel Core i7 980X 3.33Ghz

-Overclocked @4.2Ghz STOCK VOLTAGE well within safety for maximum longevity of the CPU

-Hexacore (12 Threads)

-Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU cooler dual 120mm LED fans

MOBO:  DFI T3eH8

Allows there to be a gap between the 2 graphics cards for enhanced cooling perfomance

Graphics: 2x Gigabyte GTX480 1536MB GDDR5 (Worlds fastest single GPU)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 1T 6x2GB sticks in dual channel

HD System: 3x Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 32MB cache in raid 0 Excellent performance beats SSD's

HD Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 32MB cache

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (Black)

-6 Fans in total for maximum cooling performance all can be manually adjusted from outside the case

-Washable air filters

-Black interior

-Perspex side window

Size 582mm x 213mm x 513mm (h*w*d)

Website: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Njkz

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W modular for less cable clutter inside the case

DVD: Samsung SH-B083A SATA Blu-ray player + DVD writer

congrats jack :)it took me 5 months to get my system rite after a freeze up issue and now i can do my favourite flight from ymml too auckland new zealand without any issues,and that quite a system your running there,i feel that im happy with fsx and the new gtx 480 card,tho im running at stock cpu speed, but am happy to fly without any fsx crashes or freeze ups,enjoy mate. :)

Jack,

I'm so glad that you got it all figured out. I got really good at understanding FSX.

The idea that SLI or Raid 0 did not benefit FSX always perplexed me.

My system is really a dream machine. I'm in the 20's and 30's, and smooth, just about everywhere I fly. This is with HQ settings, sliders to the right and in the most demanding sceneries.

We need others to share their enthusiasm. FSX can run right. It just takes some time and the right hardware to get it going.

All the countless hours of testing have paid off for me.

Congrats!

I'm happy that you've found the sweet spot Jack, but I don't think that you can discount people's experiences when it comes to SLI.

For some on this forum, it was definately detrimental and personally, when I removed 1 of the cards, my frame rates went up.

I guess every setup is different and technology is marching on.

I personally wouldn't advocate an expense of 600 odd bucks for the very little gain that SLI (could) provide.

Frank

Posted Image

Jack, keep this CPU close to you like this will be the last one Intel will ever make, some of the best overclocking (voltage wise) I saw were 4.183 at 1.364v.....so you have a little jewel here.

This is from Intel..... VID Voltage Range 0.800V-1.375V.....so you'r in the safe zone according to Intel up to 1.375 .....I wish I had your CPU ....this baby would be purring at around 4.45GHz + without that much more voltage......

Do you know what batch this CPU is from, the batch # will be on the CPU box?

That is a sweet CPU, did you tested it for stability?

Archived