My Home Town

Geoffman

First let me I'm really really happy with AUGold, it has made flying in south east Queensland a real pleasure as there is really great VFR scenery to be seen and enjoyed!  ;D

However, I did a flight over my home town of Oakey (just west of Toowoomba) and I admit I am a little dissapointed by the accuracy of my home town, and was just wondering how it got be wrong, or have I somehow screwed up my installation? Note I have no other addons installed apart from Holger's Mesh, AUBlue, AUGold and FEX.

I have attached an overhead shot from FTX and google earth for comparison.

FTX

Posted Image

Google Earth

Posted Image

Geoff,

Please understand that FTX is not 'photoreal' scenery. Therefore it will not display your street, nor your neighbourhood etc. When laying out landclass the designers have about 10 different city/town textures and 6 crop textures to use to represent real-life. Of those 10 city/town textures we have high rise, inner city, suburbia, rural, acreage, new developements.

When you consider each tile is 1nm square you can see the scope to accurately display a town or city is severely restrained... We can start to make things appear more accurate with the placement of what we call 'poly' textures - however this process (which we use in an ongoing campaign of refinement), is extremely time consuming. If we were to poly all the towns in AU_Gold, the product wouldn't see the light of day.

Oakey town can be improved in FTX by perhaps using an alternative landclass call for the township - too many crop paddocks showing there in the town centre and not enough urban streets. Easy to fix. And as the guys have already said, with a custom poly landclass edit we can accurately restrict the town's outline to exactly mimic what you see in GE. Give us some time though.

However Oakey is important to Orbx from a commercial/military customer point of view for helo training ops, so I can assure you that area will get a LOT of attention though 2008 ;)

Thats great John, I'll look forward to any changes you guys see fit to make.

When you guys get around to doing further work on the airfield/base, I'll send you pointer to my office window and you can show me waving at the air traffic as it flys over.  ;)

Archived