Sibwings Bird Dog 1.2 update out!

VPA159

Great, thanks for the heads' up. I love this aircraft.

I rarely check back to see if there are updates for aircraft once I've purchased them, so I'm glad there are folks out there more on the ball than I!

Cheers, Iain

Apparently the take-off roll was way too long with POH recommended flaps settings, the touch-down was a bit too difficult, suddenly it'd drop or something like that, and the spins were a bit "defaulty", people reporting spinning upwards and such.

Before this patch, that is. I've been put off by all these comments on their forums, but it sure does look nice. I hope they fixed it this time, if so I'll get it too.

Goodness me, it's really here!

It'll be interesting to see if all the users who catagorically stated that the aircraft was perfect as it was will still apply the update  ;)

To be fair there are a few new paints added by the looks of it so it's not all about the flight dynamics. Some nice civilian paints too, thank goodness!

Guest bliksimpie

From the sibwings site

How to get this:

If you already have BirdDog in your hangar, just redownload and reinstall the bird (don't buy it again). You can find BirdDog download link in your "SibWings Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog activation details" email.

...and you think I have saved that original email... ?

Seem to me that I will have to contact their support

I bought this little beauty after I saw JV showing it off in one of his blogs.

I gotta say, it's my favourite low'n'slow. The reflections on those gauges are just so life-like.

I've not had problems like some, and I think that the night lighting in the vc is outstanding.

It will remain right up there for me for a good time to come,

Frank

Guest bliksimpie

Alex

Yeah I know and I agree with that. I was not complaining.. just posted to actually say I have screwed myself. Nothing negative towards Sibwings. It was my own fault for not keeping the original link.. So I would have to live with the consequenses and was actually preparing for a whole weekend without the birddog as I know that it will take time to trace my purchase etc.

I must say that your support from your forum is absolutely awesome.

Good thing it's finally out! I must say I haven't flow her as much as I would have liked, because of the little problems when landing and taking off. But it wasn't that bad, as you can here:

At the moment I have the same problem as bliksimpie (lost the email with the download link a while back due to a hard disk crash). But I already contacted Sibwing and I'm sure I'll be a happy camper soon. :)

Okay guys, I've only given her a quick test flight, and to me she feels the same (more or less) as she did before. I was one of those that didn't have a problem with the flight dynamics for some reason. She flew beautifully before, and still does. There are a few changes to take offs, she takes off with flaps now, and I think she gets up a little bit faster. Landings were good before (the only tail dragger I can land without bouncing), and she feels the same there.

The VOR is still not right, and now I've developed that dreaded flaps sync problem. That is really annoying. And I hope it gets sorted real quick.

Someone said something about those who thought she was perfect, and whether they would update? Of course we'd update, who wouldn't with all those extra liveries, and I believe an extra model too.

All in all, my 2 cents worth? A bit disappointed I've got a bug I didn't have before :(

Good thing it's finally out! I must say I haven't flow her as much as I would have liked, because of the little problems when landing and taking off. But it wasn't that bad, as you can here:

At the moment I have the same problem as bliksimpie (lost the email with the download link a while back due to a hard disk crash). But I already contacted Sibwing and I'm sure I'll be a happy camper soon. :)

Man those flap sounds are loud!! If they are still like that post update I think I'll have to swap them for something quieter!

Okay guys, I've only given her a quick test flight, and to me she feels the same (more or less) as she did before. I was one of those that didn't have a problem with the flight dynamics for some reason. She flew beautifully before, and still does. There are a few changes to take offs, she takes off with flaps now, and I think she gets up a little bit faster. Landings were good before (the only tail dragger I can land without bouncing), and she feels the same there.

The VOR is still not right, and now I've developed that dreaded flaps sync problem. That is really annoying. And I hope it gets sorted real quick.

Someone said something about those who thought she was perfect, and whether they would update? Of course we'd update, who wouldn't with all those extra liveries, and I believe an extra model too.

All in all, my 2 cents worth? A bit disappointed I've got a bug I didn't have before :(

Why don't you re-install the original and just keep the new model and liveries?

Man those flap sounds are loud!! If they are still like that post update I think I'll have to swap them for something quieter!

Yeah, but that's the same with the default Cessnas. It probably uses the same (too loud) sound effect.

p.s.: just got a mail with the link. Even faster than the last time I contacted them!  :o  Great!

p.p.s.: just to mention it: if you haven't changed your hardware there is no need for reactivation when uninstalling the old version and installing the new one. The registration information seems to be stored on the computer.

Why don't you re-install the original and just keep the new model and liveries?

I don't think that would work and keep the updated take off advantages. I'm looking into it though, trying to see what's changed. They have made sooooo many changes, I can't track it down yet. The whole file naming structure has changed, and the air files have changed too. I can't read those though.

Nice thought though :)

I did a few circuits over Darrington now and also tested some crosswind take offs and landing. The Bird Dog flies, and most importantly, takes off and lands great now. It feels very organic. I'd even go as far as saying that the flight dynamic's realism feels as close to the A2A Piper Cub as it can get without using an external module.

I couldn't manage a spin but the stall seemed good to me.

Guest bliksimpie

Jigsaw

Does she slip now.. ? I never could get the bird dog to have a nice slip.

I am at work and will only be able to test the plane later this afternoon.

I really wish I'd downloaded this before I went to work instead of waiting until I got home this evening - I'm at 12% with 4 hours and sixteen minutes to go  :-\

Yeah I had the same problem last night, but once 12 midnight came, it started downloading @300-500KBps. It's the "peak" period here now, and true to most things British, you get screwed at peak times  ;D

Guest bliksimpie

I am one happy chappy..!!

She Side slip at last.. No problems with take offs/landings. Really is a joy to fly..

Adjusted the sound.cfg file to adjust flap sounds... Now it is much more tolerable.. Flaps was really loud.

So no complaints from me.. I think Sibwings nailed it this time for me..!!

Adjusted the sound.cfg file to adjust flap sounds... Now it is much more tolerable.. Flaps was really loud.

Could you please share those changes ?  ;)

I don't know how it behaved prior to the update, but the latest version flies very well - great job, Alexander  8)

It side slips enough, but could bleed a bit more speed with this maneuver. I would like to keep the window glass effects but get rid of the light blueish tint completely, any ideas how to achieve this ? I have not the smallest idea about aircraft development...  ;D (so much work, so few time)

I really wish I'd downloaded this before I went to work instead of waiting until I got home this evening - I'm at 12% with 4 hours and sixteen minutes to go  :-\

Yeah I had the same problem last night, but once 12 midnight came, it started downloading @300-500KBps. It's the "peak" period here now, and true to most things British, you get screwed at peak times  ;D

I gave up on it last night and finally downloaded this morning in less than a minute!

The version I got was 1.2.7.0 dated 10/07. Interesting  :)

Just defragging after installing this and OZx NA and then we'll see how she is. Can't wait.

I can't even imagine anymore to wait hours for a defrag... Or staring forever at a loading bar. A small 60 or 80 GB SSD for FSX is worth it's weight in gold. TRIM takes less than 3 seconds with restore points disabled. Both my SSDs are as fast as on day one and i have a lot of huge file movements.

Guest bliksimpie

Heiko:

To adjust the flap sound.

go to your sound folder inside the "SibWings_Cessna_BirdDog_E" folder. (All birddog versions is linked to the sound inside this folder.)

Open the sound folder.

Copy the file named "sound.cfg" and safe a copy somewhere else so that you always have a backup incase you mess up.

now.

Select the file named "sound.cfg" Open the file with note pad.

Scroll way down untill you find the following entry:

[FLAPS]

filename=swflaps

flags=0

viewpoint=1

initial_volume=10000

minimum_volume=10000

maximum_volume=10000

Now change it  last three entries to:

[FLAPS]

filename=swflaps

flags=0

viewpoint=1

initial_volume=6700

minimum_volume=193

maximum_volume=8900

If it is still too loud,

decrease initial volume to 5700 or 4700

and maximum vlume to 7900 or 6900

It is OK to make adjustments in 1000's

Guest bliksimpie

snip snip....

TRIM takes less than 3 seconds with restore points disabled. Both my SSDs are as fast as on day one and i have a lot of huge file movements.

Absolutely true. I will never ever go back to an ordinary hard drive. properly set up SSD stays as good as the day you bought them. 

I just swapped the Sibwings 'weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh' for the simple 'schtuk' sound of my C185F. Much much better! ;D

But completely unrealistic. The flaps of the 185 are muscle driven via a direct connection to the flaps lever while the Bird Dog actually has electric flap motors. ;)

I just swapped the Sibwings 'weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh' for the simple 'schtuk' sound of my C185F. Much much better! ;D

But completely unrealistic. The flaps of the 185 are muscle driven via a direct connection to the flaps lever while the Bird Dog actually has electric flap motors. ;)

edit - You are right, I'm going back to a quieter version of the original. I just wish I could make it a bit shorter too!

But it no longer sounds like I have my head pressed right up against the casing of the motor any more which wasn't quite true to life either.

You could use the reduced volume tweak...

And it solves the out of synch issue which would still be annoying even if the sounds were quieter  ;)

...since you are supposed to look out front and not at the flaps when lowering them. ;D

But it no longer sounds like I have my head pressed right up against the casing of the motor any more which wasn't quite true to life either.

You could use the reduced volume tweak...

And it solves the out of synch issue which would still be annoying even if the sounds were quieter  ;)

...since you are supposed to look out front and not at the flaps when lowering them. ;D

Well, substituting 'swflaps' for another file (and I tested a few) just resulted in that one wav file being played four or five times in a row anyway and I don't know if it's possible to change that so I guess there is no choice but using a quieter version of the original! I can live with that as it's still an amazing add-on  :)

Just a note to any new users - if you want to hear ATC refer to you as 'Birddog' rather than just 'Cessna' then make the following change to the aircraft cfg -

[General]

atc_type=Cessna

atc_model=O1

Happy flying! 

Guest bliksimpie

6997j

You can adjust the extension time.

Here are two examples how I adjusted the extension time. You really cannot make it shorter then this as it will not be realistic..

I like the sound of the first part of the video. It is a little more old time motor driven and do not have that high pitch as in the second part. The second part is the standard sound that come with the birddog. I swiched off the engine otherwise you really have to listen carefully to hear the flap sound as I also have adjusted the sound down a lot 

I will see if I can upload the oldtime sound somewhere. Otherwise send me a PM and I will email it to you.

6997j

You can adjust the extension time.

Here are two examples how I adjusted the extension time. You really cannot make it shorter then this as it will not be realistic..

I like the sound of the first part of the video. It is a little more old time motor driven and do not have that high pitch as in the second part. The second part is the standard sound that come with the birddog. I swiched off the engine otherwise you really have to listen carefully to hear the flap sound as I also have adjusted the sound down a lot 

I will see if I can upload the oldtime sound somewhere. Otherwise send me a PM and I will email it to you.

Wow, that's much better. PM sent - thank you  ;D

Archived