Vsync, framerate lock, and stutters.

Crunch

I'm sort of new to FTX. So I've noticed when flying FSX that anytime the frame rate does not match my monitor's refresh rate it stutters constantly.  Anyone have any technical insight on this issue, or a fix? I don't recall this happening with WinXP, but I am now running on Windows 7.  Some people claim they can lock their FPS at 30 and be "perfectly smooth" with no stutters. However, if I do that is stutters constantly. Thanks.

Order # 68698 AU Blue

Order # 63853 PNW

Yeah I used to FPS limiter before with no issues at about 35 fps smoothly.  Now it wont even lock the FPS down. It still has the problem of no vsync / fps match = stutters. Right now I'm forced to lock FPS at 50 (monitor refresh) and maintain that performance to get smooth flight, it seems to need to match or its a no go. My computer could easily do most add-on scenery at 35, if I could only set it there without a constant stutter. Some seem to have this same issue, some don't, right now I'm at a loss.

i7 930 @ 3.6

470 GTX

6 GB Corsair

950 watt Corsair PS

etc etc

You can download the FPS limiter here -

http://rs487.rapidshare.com/files/160642187/FPS_Limiter_0.2.rar

Run the jar executable (FPS_Limiter_GUI) and locate fsx.exe, then click the "create bat" button. Now simply run the the fsx.exe.limited.bat file instead of the exe. Make sure you set the framerate to unlimited within FSX. You can set the utility's frame rate number to something higher than the default 30 if you like, but 30 strikes a good balance between playability and letting FSX render everything in time.

Mike

Hiya Crunch,

Okay, I have an i7 rig (albeit faster cpu) with a GTX 470 and Win7. I don't use the FPS limiter tool (never have needed to), and run FSX with FPS locked at 40 FPS.  I have two tweaks in my FSX.CFG:

HIGHMEMFIX=1      added under the [GRAPHICS] heading

and

RejectThreshold=98304    under the [bUFFERPOOLS] heading

Are you running these tweaks already? If not, give them a try. Also, let us know where your FSX slider settings are (roughly) so we have a better idea whats going on with your setup.

Report back when you can.

Yeah I used to FPS limiter before with no issues at about 35 fps smoothly.  Now it wont even lock the FPS down. It still has the problem of no vsync / fps match = stutters. Right now I'm forced to lock FPS at 50 (monitor refresh) and maintain that performance to get smooth flight, it seems to need to match or its a no go. My computer could easily do most add-on scenery at 35, if I could only set it there without a constant stutter. Some seem to have this same issue, some don't, right now I'm at a loss.

i7 930 @ 3.6

470 GTX

6 GB Corsair

950 watt Corsair PS

etc etc

Hi Crunch,

Some of this information might help: Are you running in full screen or window? Which driver, 200 series or earlier? With or without Nick Needham's driver workarounds inclulding v-sync setting for the 200 series or Nhancer for previous? Are you starting FSX with FPS Limiter and if so, with what FPS setting? Which display settings in FSX internals and resolutions (not performance settings)? Which tweaks (if any) in your FSX.cfg file? What clock on the 470 GTX?

i7 930 @ 3.6

470 GTX

6 GB Corsair

950 watt Corsair PS

etc etc

Hi Crunch,

Some of this information might help: Are you running in full screen or window? Which driver, 200 series or earlier? With or without Nick Needham's driver workarounds inclulding v-sync setting for the 200 series or Nhancer for previous? Are you starting FSX with FPS Limiter and if so, with what FPS setting? Which display settings in FSX internals and resolutions (not performance settings)? Which tweaks (if any) in your FSX.cfg file? What clock on the 470 GTX?

Full screen mode, 25.7.21 drivers. I'm using Nicks workaround for now until nhancer gets updated. Not sure about a nick vsync setting? I used to use FPS limiter but canned it because it doesn't seem to work for me anymore in Win 7. I just tried setting FPS lim to 30, with unlimited in FSX, it wont hold 30 down, it will allow it to hit 38 or so. Still stutters like that. Im running 1920x1080 native res with mid to upper FSX settings. Could you please clarify the FSX internals part.  My 470 is at default clock 607 / 837.

Overall FPS or hardware doesn't seem to be an issue, I'm thinking the problem lies within Windows 7 and vsync. Strangely I dont recall ever having this issue with Windows XP, I could vary in frame rate and not stutter like it does now. I'm actually running at 50 hz now with a 50 FPS FSX lock, this is completely smooth in default scenery (cities etc) because it can maintain it though the entire flight. My concern is getting things like FTX smooth with a lower achievable frame rate for this sort of heavy add-on scenery.  Thanks for your help.

Hiya Crunch,

Okay, I have an i7 rig (albeit faster cpu) with a GTX 470 and Win7. I don't use the FPS limiter tool (never have needed to), and run FSX with FPS locked at 40 FPS.  I have two tweaks in my FSX.CFG:

and

Are you running these tweaks already? If not, give them a try. Also, let us know where your FSX slider settings are (roughly) so we have a better idea whats going on with your setup.

Sniper, are you running stutter free at 40 locked? Meaning, you arent seeing any stuttering at all, not even a consistent micro stutter? Some people say they are completely smooth at 40 fps, but I cant lock it there because it stutters constantly if the lock (and current FPS) is not equal to monitor refresh rate. I dont currently use those tweaks but I have and they dont really help my issue.  I use poolsize and disablepreload, thats it, the rest I find somewhat useless.

Hello,

A question regarding running the batch file?........I'm I going to run the new created batch file instead of the normal FSX.exe file?  If so, it is not working for me.....

I ran the program as stated above and created the batch file using the FSX.exe file and that gave me the new batch file.  However, when I clicked on it (the batch file)...nothing happened....so I had to run FSX by it's original exe file.

Please advise...Thank you!

Paul

Hiya Crunch,

and

Sniper, are you running stutter free at 40 locked? Meaning, you arent seeing any stuttering at all, not even a consistent micro stutter? Some people say they are completely smooth at 40 fps, but I cant lock it there because it stutters constantly if the lock (and current FPS) is not equal to monitor refresh rate. I dont currently use those tweaks but I have and they dont really help my issue.  I use poolsize and disablepreload, thats it, the rest I find somewhat useless.

Okay Crunch,

Yes, 40 FPS and no stutters or micro-stutters. I do NOT run the pool size tweak with my GTX 470, as it DID give me stutters when I first got my card. I am running the same drivers as you, but I do NOT use nHancer or Nick's work around for nHancer, as I prefer to just use the nVidia control panel to set things. I have no vsync problems with Win7 and FSX, and I just set vsync to FORCED ON in the nVidia control panel.

Is your GTX 470 a base model or a Superclocked one? My GTX 470 settings are thus:

Core Clock : 1300 mhz, Memory Clock 2050 mhz, and Fan Speed at 85%

Are you running any 3rd party AI utilities?

Sniper...1300MHz has to be your shader clock not core clock.... :o

Alain, actually in EVGA Precision is says 'Processor Clock', that's why I said Core Clock. So, I guess we were both off ;)

Hello,

A question regarding running the batch file?........I'm I going to run the new created batch file instead of the normal FSX.exe file?  If so, it is not working for me.....

I ran the program as stated above and created the batch file using the FSX.exe file and that gave me the new batch file.  However, when I clicked on it (the batch file)...nothing happened....so I had to run FSX by it's original exe file.

Paul

Anybody have an answer to this question?

Thanks!

Hello,

Paul

Anybody have an answer to this question?

Thanks!

Hi paul are you sure you linked the batch to the actual fsx.exe and not its icon file or something little like that??

and in regard to the original post, this is way outta left field but it couldnt be the monitor could it??

Tom

A batch file is simply a script written in plain text, so you can check it yourself. Open it in Notepad and make sure it's pointing to the correct files. Mine says -

start F:\"Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:32 /x:OFF /l:OFF "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Mike

Archived