7" mini monitor making FSX go haywire, any ideas?

Ryan Mason

Hi guys,

Being that there are many people here more hardware savvy than myself I thought I would ask for some help.  I just bought a 7" mimo USB monitor to use for my FS gps screen by undocking it.  I plugged it in and installed the drivers and it appears fine and works as a screen extension, but when I try to load FS I get the info in the pic below, it seems that after the install of the driver software that maybe FS thinks that the 7" monitor is what all of FS is going to be used on and now cant figure out that I still havee the 8800GTXm on the main computer.  I am a little confused by it all.  Anyone have any tips?  I have previously used a 17" second monitor connected to the serial port with no issues, just due to its size it was impractical.  This is my first attempt at a USB monitor.

post-455-1302041300_thumb.jpg

Ryan, I am by no means an expert, but I have a feeling that using JUST usb to feed it the throughput may not be enough to satisfy FSX. To be honest I didn't even know there were usb only monitors out there. I ran a small 8" touchscreen for a little bit, but it still used a VGA connection plus the usb.

Ryan,

I had exactly the same problem as you and solved it by starting FSX before turning my 7" monitor on. I then use the mini monitor for the Plan G moving map - works a treat.

Shaun

You cannot use a USB monitor with FSX nor many other Simulations as the USB buss cannot pass video information fast enough.

While that's true for the sim itself, these USB monitors are really useful for displaying extra gauges, planners etc, for which they are perfectly adequate. I know of several people using them for Plan-G, or to host an RXP GPS (don't have one myself though - my homebuilt RXP screen is driven from a VGA card)

As Shaun said, the key is to start FSX before plugging in the MIMO.

I would be extremely doubtful for even gauges with a USB monitor  I was going to use them in a racing sim which is less graphically demanding than FSX and they were NOT up to the task instrumentation, the program worked flawlessly with an additional graphics card and POS monitors.

Shaun,

Thanks for the heads up, works perfectly now, I just start it after FSX.  Now all I need to do is figure out how to hide the ugly box around the GPS and to get it to load directly into the window of the 7" screen vs. having to drag it around :)

Archived