New CPU cooler

TenBlade

With the addition of the Mushkin Redline ram, the high riser coolers on the overclocked Corsair ram went. That gave me room for a new CPU cooler. I did a lot of research, reading many reviews, focusing on low noise coolers, and compact size. Found the perfect candidate, the Scythe Mugen 2. It´s width allowing just enough room for my NB air-cooling modification. The length of it leaves the fan placed right above the first ram stick. You can place the fan on either side of the cooler. You can add another fan for push/pull, and achieve even lower rpm and lower noise.

And I must say it has quieted my PC significantly. One of those gadgets that my wife was actually looking forward to ::). It´s so much quieter than the Zalman I had (see my avatar), but that one ran at max rpm to keep up.

At max rpm ithe Mugen 2 will of course get noisy, so will every other cooler. But so far it hasn´t been stressed that much. Even when running OCCT. But my case is well ventilated.

It´s pretty heavy, around 2 pounds, comes with a metal backplate. So, you have to take everything apart to get that plate on the back of the board. And the screws are inserted from the back of the board, simply no room to reach the screws from top side. I hope future cases will feature a hole in the wall for easier access and no fuss. And if I need to pull the first ram stick out, I´ll have to remove the fan from the cooler. But that´s pretty straight forward.

Just a little inspiration if you´re after a silent solution, and it´s actually very cheap.

Bjorn

Sure thing, Stephen! And thank you  :)

Not as pretty as the little round thing, and it is blocky. But in the end, it´s about performance, not aesthetics.

You can also see the tri-fan on my GTX 285 8). And if you wonder what those small lose wires in there are doing, they are temp. sensors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can just see the NB cooler squeezed in between the cooler and the GPU. And see how the cooler is right above the first ram stick. For some flashy product pictures and review: http://tech-reviews.co.uk/reviews/scythe-mugen-2-cooler/

-snip-

It´s pretty heavy, around 2 pounds, comes with a metal backplate. So, you have to take everything apart to get that plate on the back of the board. And the screws are inserted from the back of the board, simply no room to reach the screws from top side. I hope future cases will feature a hole in the wall for easier access and no fuss. And if I need to pull the first ram stick out, I´ll have to remove the fan from the cooler. But that´s pretty straight forward.

-snip-

Bjorn

Bjorn, I couldn't agree with you more on the pain that it is to have to take out everything including the MB to be able to screw on a CPU cooler backplate. That is one of the NUMEROUS reasons I went with a CoolerMaster HAF 932 case several months ago. If anyone is even thinking about a new case, I urge your to check that puppy out. Here is a thread I started with some (blurry :( ) pics when I was installing all my components into it:

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=20842.msg178467#msg178467

On the new CPU cooler note, nice info on your new cooler. Never heard of that one before, thanks for sharing the info.

Oh, that´s a nice case. Definitely worth looking into next time. How is the space in the "back room"? I try and cram as many cables into the other side of the motherboard. Not much room in my case.

LOTS of space in the 'back room'. The cable management of the HAF 932 is excellent. I am very picky about the 'neatness' of the inside of my case in part because I am a neat freak but also for the importance of air flow. 

Yeah, I´m amazed when I see those totally clean rigs over at xtremesystems.com. I really wondered where did they put any of the wires?! I think I´ll get an extention for the board cable, it spans across the board from the bottom, crossing the interior. I´d like to sneak it around the back room somehow. But maybe a new PSU will have longer cable? I want the Corsair HX750W, got good reviews, supposed to be very silent and made of high grade components (a bit pricy too). My current PSU failed the OCCT, so I actually think I´ve found out why I´ve had so much trouble overclocking. Should´ve OCCT´d it a long time ago.

The way the many of  the images are gathered for product test shots is very easy actually, the un-necessary cables are either left out of the build for clarity or it is a test bed machine for Photography only.

Now I must add a word of warning with regard to CPU coolers.  It really does not matter how big the cooler or how nasty the cooler looks but what does matter is the thermal efficiency, we need to remember there is only a finite amount of contact area on the top of the CPU so there is only a finite amount of heat that can be drawn away from the CPU, and this in turn will depend on how efficient the CPU's internal structure is at removing the heat and passing this to the ground surface the cooler is in contact with.

So when you couple this with the fact just about ALL the cooler's on the market excluding liquid and peltier devices, are thermally passive and they rely on good airflow through the fins to make the cooler function, thus if you DO NOT have sufficient airflow through the case then your cooler is not performing to it's best end of story.

I am very fortunate to be able to feed cool air from under the house into the PC case and out into the room in winter (Heats the Cockpit) and the reverse in summer resulting in 30-40 Deg average CPU Temps.

I also have an old P4 CPU Fan blowing air in and around the RAM modules and I/O Chip Heatsink a much over looked area in most PC's this has resulted in a much more stable system.

Archived