Lyman Glacier and back again (22 pics)

Sorry, another big set of screenshots. It shows a short trip from Darrington to the beautiful Lyman Glacier lakes and back to Darrington. Please note that the 3D trees in the photoreal areas will be one of the new features of the upcoming patch for the Pacific Northwest scenery. More on that here: http://orbxsystems.com/forums//index.php?topic=23235.0

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, these shots inspired me, so a group of us headed up from Darrington this afternoon in multiplayer.  I was guiding, and doing it from memory of looking at the map when I first read this thread, so we wound up a little north of here at Trapper Lake.  I have to say that I've never seen anything in FSX that looked like this territory when flying through it.  These pictures just don't do it justice.  I couldn't believe I wasn't looking out at the real thing. 

Is this area different somehow?  Is it more photo-real? 

I'm going to be spending a LOT of time in this area in the future!  Glad I have Concrete pre-ordered!

Is this area different somehow?  Is it more photo-real? 

I imagine it has to do with the conditions at the time the photos were shot. Looks like the photoreal material for that area was shot on a bright and sunny day, so it works particularly well under similar conditions in the sim.

So, which areas are photoreal?  Are they just scattered about?  Mostly the mountains?

If you have Google Earth (if not, you should get it. It's great and free!) then you can use the "FTX PNW Coverage and Features Map.kmz" file in the FSX/Orbx/User Documents folder. It will open an overlay in Google Earth that shows you the extent of the PNW area, the location of all airports and helipads and, that's the thing you want, the locations of photoreal points of interest. Having said that I just noticed that Lyman Glacier isn't indicated there, unless it's part of the nearby Glacier Peak photoreal area.

Yeah, I have that, and was looking at it, and noticed that nowhere around Darrington is listed as photo-real.  But, I'm telling you, those lakes and the surrounding mountains look real.  Either it's photoreal, or it's the most amazing FSX texturing imaginable!

Hi guys,

all of Patrick's images show photoreal areas. In some of the screenshots there are bits of our "generic" textures where the photoreal blends into them but most of what you see is photoreal with appropriate autogen objects on top.

Image Lake and Lyman Lakes are smaller photoreal sections northeast of the large Glacier Peak photoreal area: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=48.19282027667608~-120.95860227942467&lvl=14&sty=h

Cheers, Holger

That's what I thought.  It was photoreal up around Trapper Lake too, I think.  But these areas don't show as photoreal in the KML for PNW.  Are there a lot of photoreal areas other than those in the kml?  Are they mostly in the mountains?

Hi Griphos,

nope, Trapper Lake isn't one of the photoreal areas. Mind you, Matthew's "generic" textures are made from similar source material as our photoreal areas and the way they are placed with our custom land class files often makes it difficult to distinguish between photoreal and generic.

As far as I know all of the photoreal areas are listed in the KML. Lyman Lakes and Image Lake probably don't appear separately because they are subsets of the Glacier Peak area.

If you have FSX Deluxe and the SDK installed you can actually load any of the PNW photoreal bgl files, located in \FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX\scenery, into the TMFViewer.exe application (in \Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK) and it'll show you location and extent.

Cheers, Holger

I have FSX Deluxe, but not the SDK.  And if Trapper Lake isn't photoreal, then I don't really need to know where the photoreal areas are to single them out, huh?!  I mean, wow!  I'd take pictures, but it they just don't do it justice.  Those textures are amazing, as are the shots of the textures I see you guys working on for the Rockies.  As someone who has lived in ALL of the states covered by that scenery (NM, CO, WY, MT), I can tell you that you guys are getting the textures right!  Really impressive!

And if Trapper Lake isn't photoreal, then I don't really need to know where the photoreal areas are to single them out, huh?!  I mean, wow!

Well, there certainly is a big difference between photoreal areas, which display unique features from the real world in exactly the right places, and generic stand-in textures that are based on photos as well, but which only give a rough approximation of what a particular area looks like.

Went up in the Longeze today and found Lyman.  What a beautiful area.  Here's one of the lake:

Posted Image

She was blue with glacial melt today:

Posted Image

The mountains around it are incredible:

Posted Image

Here's nearby Canyon Lake:

Posted Image

And Image Lake with the nearby firetower:

Posted Image

I'm going to have to come back up in the DoDo and land on that tower!

What incredible scenery!

Archived