Zotac GeForce GTX 480 AMP! Edition

Zotac GeForce GTX 480 AMP! Edition 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card, Well then chaps Emmsie has been looking at this 480 its not in my shop yet but will be soon when it comes available i hope to buy one of these i just wanted to know a few of your thoughts on this card after reading about how hot these cards run i think this should run a lot cooler than a normal GTX 480. Enhancements to the Zotac GeForce GTX 480 AMP! Edition begin with a completely tweaked PCB engineered to maximize performance and overclocking. The revamped cooling system from Zalman features a heatsink made of a pure copper base and heat pipes attached to pure aluminium fins for maximum cooling performance that delivers class-leading air-cooled performance.

Posted Image Posted Image

- Core Clock: 756MHz

- Memory: 1536MB GDDR5

- Memory Clock: 3800MHz (Effective)

- Memory Interface: 384-Bit

- Processing Cores: 480

- Shader Clock: 1512MHz

- Bus Type: PCI-Express 2.0

- Display Connectors: 2x Dual-Link DVI-I & 1x Mini-HDMI 1.3a (Includes HDMI & VGA Adapters)

- SLI Ready

- HDCP Capable

- DirectX 11 Support

- OpenGL 3.1 Support

- PhysX Enabled

- CUDA Enabled

- Warranty: 5 Years

cheers

Iain

Just to let you guys know I have decreased my temps by 20 degrees just by altering the fan speeds. I use MSI. Afterburner. It now tops out around 74. I also have my card quite overclocked, without any problems.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lynchie

I've had several Zotac cards and never had problems with them.

Having said that, I'd be thinking that two fans mean twice the noise (maybe not when they're shiny and new) and twice the problems later on down the track.

My new 480 is very quiet (as quiet as the Zotac GTX295 that it replaced) and temps are certainly nothing to worry about, but it's not overclocked or anything and I have no intention of doing that to get an extra frame or two out of it.

It's all a bit of a storm in a tea cup to my way of thinking.

I'm saving my money now for the new i8's and the motherboards that will replace the 1366 next year.

Frank

Having said that, I'd be thinking that two fans mean twice the noise (maybe not when they're shiny and new) and twice the problems later on down the track.

Frank

More fans should mean less noise, as they are requiered to run at lower rpm, provided that the heat pipe system is any good. Fan blade shape and the number of blades will have influence on noise but probably most important, at high speeds, are the ball bearings. I had my EVGA GTX285 SC screaming when running hot (X-plane would do that). I fitted it with a triple fan from Arctic Cooling (Swiss company), the ball bearings are specially designed for low friction and low noise, each prop has eleven blades, they run no higher than 2000 rpm or so.

It´s running extremely quiet, and I get no warnings from overheating anymore. So, I would feel inclined to acquire a modified card like that, if tests were promising. It was a tough build the first time, and I´d like  to skip that part if possible.

My two cents ;)

Bjorn

I'm eyeballing this card as well, now to find a adequate way to pass it by the ministry of finances :P;D;)

Just tell her you found it on sale. That's what my wife tells her Minister of Finances (me...).

You know Wolter, sometimes you have to spend money to save money...  ;)

I have been eager to get HD5870 but nowadays their prices are getting so close to GTX480, that im starting to drool after them... Lynchee, is this AMP! cooler more silent than reference? I've heard that the reference is bad and its loud, but how about this? Also, i have been drooling after water cooling for cpu ang gpu, "becouse if i get gtx480 i need it", thats what i make myself believe. ;D

Archived