Some FTX Questions

tag86

I do most of my flying around Melbourne and the Dandenong's/alps and I'm thinking of buying either AU Blue or possibly the four region DVD. If I buy the SP2 edition which has Avalon airport included (which I like to fly out of, rather than Coffs Harbour) and then upgrade to SP3 using the patch will I get all the same feature than If I had just bought SP3 (apart from the different included airfield)? 

Also can someone also correct me if my understanding of what exactly FTX does is wrong.

It is only replacement textures and landclass areas for Australia. It does not include any extra airfields or buildings/landmarks such as Melbourne CBD (I understand if I want these I have to download OZx or other scenery packages).

It also doesn't enhance the terrain, for this I need something like the '76m HolgerMesh' or the Sim Pilot experience 20m 'Mountains of Victoria' package (can I install both, 76m for Australia, then the 20m enhanced just for Vic?).

Guest J van E

Buying SP2 and then upgrading it with the free update to SP3 will give you the same 'feature' indeed. I bought the first versions of Blue and Gold and updated them to SP2 and later on to SP3 and I have the same improvements as anyone who bought the SP3 dvd.

About 'only replacement textures and landclass areas': 'only' doesn't do FTX justice, but yes, FTX gives you new textures (which are way better) and new landclass (not just in areas but all over the place). But with those textures also comes the best autogen you've ever seen. There ARE landmarks but I never thought about where they come from (FSX default or FTX)... But it's not that the big cities are empty!!! Extra airfields are indeed not included but you can download various payware quality airports for free from the Orbx site and they will fit perfectly in FTX. ANd yes, you can also download OZx which adds a LOT of airports (also fitting perfectly) and various landmarks. All for free.

'Enhance the terrain' isn't the right expression: 'enhance the mesh' is a better way of saying it because FTX obviously enhances the terrain with great textures. ;) Afaik you can install any mesh you want.

SP2 is no longer on sale as of today, so SP3 is your only option now.

Which is still very much worth the purchase!  ;D

IMO...

Get the SP3 DVD

Download Holgermesh for Oz.

Download all the freeware Orbx airfields.

Download Ozx airfields/scenery (www.aussiex.org)

Install the whole lot (obviously!)

Defrag your hard drive - then go exploring.

Once you've had a general look around Oz consider what areas you like most and concentrate on buying the addional Orbx airfields in that region.

:)

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't mean to question the quality of FTX, I've seen enough screenshots over the last year or two for me to buy this without any doubt as to its quality, I just until now haven't had a computer capable of running FSX.

Regarding the ORBX freeware airfields, are these compatible with the OZx ones, ie. can I show the ORBX fields over the top of the OZx ones. 

About the buildings in Melbourne, are there more there in FSX then in FS9 as it was very sparse in FS9. (My old computer hung the minute I tried to start FSX so I can't check myself until I get my new computer).

I'll think I just buy the blue region now and the Victorian airports (freeware and also the payware Melbourne, Avalon and then Essendon and Moorabbin when they come out) and maybe get FTX Green later (the only other region of Australia that I fly in).

There goes my internet quota for the month.

Archived