Ew Odd

zelbinian

ello, just had a bit of an odd experiance with fsx,  i clicked on the icon and waited for it to load, suddenly i get a random restart. ok fair enough i shrugged it off and waited for windows to load, after everything was up i shotgunned fsx, as the splash screen appeared so did this.

Product Activation Error

"An error occurred while attempting to activate the product. The problem may be due to an incomplete installation of the application. Reinstalling the application may resolve the problem. Otherwise, please contact product support for assistance."

with a raised left eyebrow i clicked "ok". fsx loaded however with no multiplayer option, and after a short time of flying i received another hell bound error^_-.

"Thank you for trying Microsoft Flight Simulator X. The trial time limit has expired. Please activate Flight Simulator to continue playing."

googled the problem and turns out that last error appears after 30mins of flying in the trail versions.

:o my jaw hit the floor. to ease peoples thoughts this is a legit copy lol. bought it back in feb 07.

for the moment any thoughts of reinstalling are hideous cause of mods lol.  if anyone knows anything or wants to help that would be great lol

its there alright, clicked it. nothing happened though, tried running it through task manager in "new task" but nothing

ah sorry theres an activate.exe but no activation.exe, if that makes a dif:S

Does FSX create a file / registry entry when you activate? If so It might have become corrupted when your computer restarted, the only thing I can suggest (and I don't know if will work) is to attempt a repair re-installation from windows uninstall program area, but you would probably have to de-install any add ons for this to work properly. If that doesn't work I think the only alternative is a complete re-install.

Others may be able to offer better suggestions than mine though!

zelbinian

The exact same happened to me, and with not being able to run the activation routine I was stuck. I popped in the FSX disk1 and carried out a repair. That worked but my flights timed out after 30 minutes. The online activation kept telling me this copy had already been registered so the only thing I could do was carry out a phone activation. This was painless and worked without any problem.

Billo

I had the same thing - drove me insane. Halfway through flights FSX would end and ask for my code to activate it.

I would enter my codes and it would seem happy and then close down. I could reboot FSX and start flying again but sure enough at some point it repeated.

A call to Microsoft did not cure anything.

In the end I thought it was to do with Acceleration. I re-installed everything (no fun with the amount of add-ons I have) but used SP2 patch rather than Acceleration. No more problems.

Good luck.

I have re-installed fsX, SP1 and Acceleration quite a few (4x) times over the last 2 weeks and have had no problem re-activating them online directly after install.

Cleared out my fsX drive (re-formatted it, this to make sure no dirt was left there)

I installed fsX, activated it, run it once, DON'T go flying just fire it up and close it down again

installed SP1, run it once to activate the Dbase etc etc

installed Acceleration, activated it

installed/ copyed over my backup files and I was up and running without a problem

it is imperative that when you re-install fsX that NO adoons have been installed till you finish the sequence as I discribed above

back again lol.  i have tried all suggestions with exception of the last (leaving out the parts to do with acceleration, i don't have it lol) if there is a way around this without formatting it i'll be all for it lol, as i dont' have quite enough space left on C to backup what i would want from D.

i tried the repair with CD1 but it didn't work:( the error on startup still appeared and was still unable to open the activate.exe

so i uninstalled fsx and deleted the directory to be sure of no mods on the new install. installation went perfectly untill the very end of CD2,  would ya believe another error ^_-, 

" Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

i clicked ok and watched in utter horror as it rolled back the installation, i tried installing again but this time used task manager to end the installation process so it wouldn't roll back. Then went to the fsx directory and clicked the icon, however the original error still showed itself with the splash screen and i am still unable to run the activate.exe.  i thought another repair from CD1 might have better chances on a clean install but the autorun deleted my installation before it came up with the options.

lol i left it at there and went to bed calmly ......

Archived