Shutting down non-required services.. Which ones?

Ok, here goes?!

I have over 80 processes running when windows is up and ready to go. How do I know what I can and can't shut down in order to squeeze the most out of my system? And is there any way that I can automatically do this when I start FSX, and have them reset when FSX is shut down? I seem to remember hearing about a few apps to do this, but I am most eager to find out which services are essential and which aren't. Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Hi! I use AlacrityPC - www.alacritypc.com - by Ken Salter. It is configurable, but basically you run it and it shuts down all non-essential services for you and then starts FS - or any other program for that matter, depending on how you set it up. It works for both XP and Vista. On my 2 gig ram machine I usually have 1.7 gig or a little more free when alacrity PC does its thing. It is free, although there is an option to donate. Hope this helps

Don

You can also use the plain old boring msconfig from the "run" command box.  That will help you sort out exactly what needs to be run at start up or remain active always.  Most programs that run in the system tray are not required to be always active.  That can free up a l;ot of resorces and also help with boot speed.

Hope that helps

:o

80 processes running, jeeeez mate that's way out the ordinary, OK, I have my rig trimmed down to the bare minimums and have with fsX and TS switched on 22 running

The Blackviper site should give you a good start to get the thing sorted and then when you apply the settings recommend in the posts here should get yer system going like a proverbial lil rocket ;)

The problem is that every program maker out there with some exceptions want to start their proggy when windows starts, this, to so called let it start up quicker, wich is the greatest craphoola as it only stuffs up your system with crap running that you don't need.

once you finished setting the services as per Blackviper topic, then hit : Start/Run -type- msconfig -enter go to the startup tab and disable all craphoola except your virusscanner.

Then go to the tab services, at the bottom tick the hide all MS services and untick all the boxes except your virusscanner.

Hit OK, it wil ask do you want to reboot ? hit yes

you'd be surprised as to how much faster a. your system loads up and b. how much faster fsX runs ;)

Archived