4 , 6 or 8 taht is the question?

chumley

I am about to place an order for a new CPU, Mobo and RAM.

I will be installing Win 7 64 bit version and have seen various sigs showing varying RAM configurations. 

This is probably old hat now but from my recollection if you installed 4 GB RAM it would be most likely 2 x 2 GB and 8 GB would be 4 x 2 GB  or 2 x 4 GB - in other words there would never be only 3 of the 4 slots used.

With 6 GB is it 2 x 2 plus 1 + 1 or can it be 3 x 2.

Also, will FSX use all or a significant portion of the 4 6 or 8 GB

Thanks

Andy b

Guest J van E

It depends on the CPU and MOBO! With your current CPU (Q9550) memory should be DDR2, dual channel, so that's 2 x whatever you want. With a i7 you need DDR3, triple-channel, so that's 3 modules. I'd go for 3x2=6. FSX won't use it all, but the rest is nice to have for other stuff (in the background). More RAM is overkill imho. AFAIK... ;)

No worries, mate! ;) Though I wish I could add another stick. But the i7 processor makes that possible.

Hear talk about an 8 core processor on it´s way! Should be interesting to see what that´ll do to FSX.

Unfortunately due to the way the memory is addressed I believe that you are basically locked into 1, 2, 4 or 8 memory modules (this is MoBo dependent though) and varies a bit but generally you will see that type of arrangement.

I asked my supplier to give me a recommendation on the RAM issue. For the CPU/Mobo combination

Asus P6T motherboard

Intel 930 Core i7 2.8Ghz CPU

this was recommended.

Gskill 6G(3x2G) 1600Mhz DDR3 Ram KIT (PN F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ)

Does it look OK for the task?

Thanks

Andy b

Guest J van E

Gskill 6G(3x2G) 1600Mhz DDR3 Ram KIT (PN F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ)

Looks ok. Here is a review of it. It doesn't have fast timings (9-9-9-24, so I have read), but it should work fine. (I have been wondering for some time if faster timings make a noticable effect...)

Archived