Unable to download TE demo into Xplane 11

m0dpsych

Hi All, I recently purchased a new pc and am running Xplane11. I have tried installing the demo along with libraries but every time I do I get an error saying that 316 files haven’t downloaded and to run verify files. I have done that but still get the same results. I have enough space to download but not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. 

regards

Gary

Please tell me more info.

How many disk drives do you have?

Which disk drive is XP on and which disk and where on that disk  you wanting to install the addons? For example straight into the XP Sim or into a library you have created?

Then please tell me the amount of free disk space on each disk drive.

I also need you PC specs  please

Thanks

Hi Jon,

I have 3 drives. A 1tb ssd that has win10, a 256gb ssd that has xp on it and a 1tb hdd that I would like to load the scenery on. Currently I have installed everything into the xp folder. The 256gb has around 190gb on it, the hdd has around 900gb on it. 

my specs are I7-10700k cpu, rog strix z490h mother board, 16 gig ram, 2080 video card with 8gb ram. Ultimately, I would like to have everything in a separate folder (scenery etc). One of the things I did notice is that when I tried downloading the demo to a separate folder it wouldn’t do it.

regards

Gary

Thanks for the info.

The first thing I notice about the disk drives you have is that I would have had Windows on the 256GB SSD and had XP on the 1tb SSD. Such a large C drive as 1TB is a waste of a good drive in my opinion. I also have a 256GB SSD C drive and have 173GB of free space on it, indicating even that size is unnecessary. The thinking is that you only need to have a small disk but fast, to have your Windows on to get the PC up and running and to have a few utility type programmes on like your anti virus etc. Having lots of stuff on the same drive as your Windows makes all the other programmes as vulnerable as Windows is to any potential problem. I have all my other programmes out of C drive. If windows gets screwed up I just need to reinstall Windows and not all the programmes i had on C drive. All my other programmes like my 2 flight sims and multi TB addons are not affected at all.

You may want to think about that since you are setting up your new PC for the long term.

Regarding trying to install the TE Demo. Did you create a library on the drive you want to install it onto? If you did, then did you via Orbx Central indicate the path to that drive? See my pic showing my addon libraries and their names and locations on various disk drives:

I have never tried installing the demo so i am not sure if for some reason it is different than a regular Orbx addon in not loading where you want it to install. I doubt it though.

I want you to show me a pic of the Orbx Central screenshot when it asks you where you want to install the demo. 

This is what I get when I want to install an Orbx addon. It clearly gives me options. Do you not get this option?

Capture1.thumb.JPG.b20976d0b0e9a81e76463d7b808c9da9.JPG

My created Libraries for XP and MSFS:

Capture.thumb.JPG.24bce328ead4c6382e1f97b07a7b9e8a.JPG

I am also attaching a copy of the Orbx central User Guide so you can look at how to set up libraries on Page 19.

Central User Guide.pdf

Hi Jon,

Windows was supposed to be on the 256gb drive but they stuffed up at the store and put it on the larger drive. I am sure it will get filled with other things. I don't get the same menu options as you do but I know what I was doing wrong. I was clicking on install but it wasn't giving me the option as per your instructions. I didn't realise I needed to change it the location in settings which I have done now. That seemed to solve it. As for storage, would you recommend an ssd or hdd to have xplane on one, and airporst etc on another, or all on one drive?

Regards

Gary

I thought it was an installation path error so i am glad it is sorted.

I had hoped that you would take advantage of the early days of your new PC and install Windows on the 256GB drive. Filling up the 1TB C drive as it is now will make all those vulnerable. Anyway it is obviously up to you and i hope you are successful and have no Windows screw ups with updates etc. I have had to reset my Windows ( that is reinstall) several times over time. 

SSD for XP as it loads a lot quicker than a HDD. There is no difference in performance once a flight or the sim is loaded, but a HDD will take longer to load. Should you end up buying Orbx True Earth addons you will see the loading time benefit of a SSD vs a HDD as the addons are well over 100GB each. That is another reason I am, saying that you ought to use your 1TB SSD for XP but NOT as the C drive.

Good luck and glad the issue is resolved.

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your assistance with my problem. In regard to the install of w10, it was supposed to be on the smaller drive but there was some miss-communication between myself and the store I purchased it from. I did some google searches and have found a way I can transfer from the 1tb ssd to the 256gb ssd so that it what I am going to do and use the bigger drive for xplane. I will also look at getting another 1 or 2 drives further down the track, as I have space for a total of 6 drives in my case. For now, i am just going to learn more about flying in xplane and will look at getting some regions/ airports in the future.

Once again, thank you for your response to my questions, it is very much appreciated.

Regards

Gary

Good luck with the Windows transfer. It makes a lot of sense to utilise the 1TB SSD for XP rather than other stuff. It works great for me. If you are relatively new to XP then you will no doubt start looking at the other True Earth addons which will greatly enhance your sim experience. They also take up a lot of disk space so your 1 TB drive is most useful.

Archived