Pre-purchase question about North & South California

MrBrady

Hello all,

I have installed the TrueEarth Great Britain South Demo to get a feel of the scenery quality and how well my machine handles it. It runs great! I get about 50 FPS in the countrysides and 25-30 when approaching EGHI. 

I'm very interested in purchasing Northern and Southern California as that's where I do most of my flying. Specifically I enjoy San Jose to Monterey and Tahoe, as well as down the cost to KSNA in Southern California.

My question is, is the Great Britain South Demo HD or SD? I don't know which version of California to buy and what happens if I buy HD but it runs too slow?

Device: X-Plane 11.5, 2019 16" Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 8-Core i9, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB and internal & external SSDs.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Welcome to the forums first of all.

I am pretty sure that the TEGB Demo is just a sampler taken from actual TEGB so it is in ZL 17 and deemed as HD.

Looking at you PC specs I personally would advise the SD version of the NorCal/SoCal  versions. I use the SD versions and my PC specs are quite a bit higher than yours. i could use the HD versions with no problem  but I can see hardly any difference in the portrayed imagery from 1800ft+ with the SD version vs the HD version.

If you fly choppers and therefore really low then maybe the HD version but for any Cessna type VFR flying at 2-4000ft the SD version is just fine. Of course if you fly tube liners at 30000ft then you don't see any advantage in the ZL17 HD version vs the ZL16 SD version.

The benefit of the SD is that it  takes far less disk space than HD and loads a lot quicker.

You can always upgrade to the HD version for about $10 I believe, or you can buy the HD version and get the SD version for free.

Ultimately the choice of course is yours.

Whatever you choose will be enjoyable

14 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Welcome to the forums first of all.

I am pretty sure that the TEGB Demo is just a sampler taken from actual TEGB so it is in ZL 17 and deemed as HD.

Looking at you PC specs I personally would advise the SD version of the NorCal/SoCal  versions. I use the SD versions and my PC specs are quite a bit higher than yours. i could use the HD versions with no problem  but I can see hardly any difference in the portrayed imagery from 1800ft+ with the SD version vs the HD version.

If you fly choppers and therefore really low then maybe the HD version but for any Cessna type VFR flying at 2-4000ft the SD version is just fine. Of course if you fly tube liners at 30000ft then you don't see any advantage in the ZL17 HD version vs the ZL16 SD version.

The benefit of the SD is that it  takes far less disk space than HD and loads a lot quicker.

You can always upgrade to the HD version for about $10 I believe, or you can buy the HD version and get the SD version for free.

Ultimately the choice of course is yours.

Whatever you choose will be enjoyable

Oh, that's good to know there is an upgrade option if needed and that the HD version gets the SD version for free. Thank you!

Archived