Orbx and the WED scenery editor

lumbco

My Orbx receipt number is 5ebfcc630efb6.

I ordered Great Britain South, EGTH Old Warden and EGHP Popham Airfield and found it very difficult to find a support link, I hope that I have come to the right place.

If not, could anyone please provide the correct link?

I have flown many hours in a microlight biplane at Popham, and found that there are some details that are not quite right. In order to increase realism and enjoyment I would like to make some small changes to the scenery using the WED scenery editor.

Having uploaded Orbx_EGHP_A_Popham to the scenery editor I was disappointed to find that the display is mostly taxi routes and ramp starts.

Other scenery, for instance Orbx EG20 Clench Common and EGTC Cranfield include aircraft, caravans, hangers and many other objects.

How can all the scenery in Orbx Popham be imported into the editor?

Thank you.

Brian Lumb

• 1 month later...

Hi All

My query is similar but more general. Firstly, I greatly appreciate the Orbx TrueEarth UK scenery. I have just tried the New Microsoft Flight Simulator and, although it looks impressive at first sight I found it very definately "technicoloured" and frankly find X Plane 11 a more realistic experience. However, the new MFS does have my very local and hidden farm strip, certainly not listed as an airfield by X Plane 11. Most of my X Plane flying is either pottering around in a microlight or getting very excited and invariably crashing coldwar jets around the East Anglian RAF of USAF airfields well visited in my younger days! Would it be possible to add the farm strips (at least three in my immediate neighbourhood) and provide my own village in more detail and add such items as a decent Orwell Bridge, a very large item totally missing from the Orbx scenery but spectacularly flown under by a stream of helicopters in the movie "The Fourth Protocol"?

This is a very roundabout way of asking how to get started making my own modifications on GB Orbx True Earth. Any general guides would be appreciated just to get me started, and with the prospect of a  new lockdown provide a new interest. The Xplane Forum seems to be useful when modding an established airport, but has not given any information regarding starting things from scratch.

Finally, if this post is misplaced I apologise and would ask the moderator to kindly trnsfer it to a more appropriate place.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, Meadowman said:

Hi All

My query is similar but more general. Firstly, I greatly appreciate the Orbx TrueEarth UK scenery. I have just tried the New Microsoft Flight Simulator and, although it looks impressive at first sight I found it very definately "technicoloured" and frankly find X Plane 11 a more realistic experience. However, the new MFS does have my very local and hidden farm strip, certainly not listed as an airfield by X Plane 11. Most of my X Plane flying is either pottering around in a microlight or getting very excited and invariably crashing coldwar jets around the East Anglian RAF of USAF airfields well visited in my younger days! Would it be possible to add the farm strips (at least three in my immediate neighbourhood) and provide my own village in more detail and add such items as a decent Orwell Bridge, a very large item totally missing from the Orbx scenery but spectacularly flown under by a stream of helicopters in the movie "The Fourth Protocol"?

This is a very roundabout way of asking how to get started making my own modifications on GB Orbx True Earth. Any general guides would be appreciated just to get me started, and with the prospect of a  new lockdown provide a new interest. The Xplane Forum seems to be useful when modding an established airport, but has not given any information regarding starting things from scratch.

Finally, if this post is misplaced I apologise and would ask the moderator to kindly trnsfer it to a more appropriate place.

You can absolutely add missing airfields - if they're just for your amusement you can create any additional ones you like in WED and have them appear in X-Plane. If they're of sufficient interest, you can 'apply' to have them included in the base product. I've created RAF Sculthorpe and Northrepps 'International' in North Norfolk just so I can navigate to them - one is a grass strip and the other a former RAF and USAF base with a huge main runway. I presume that whether they're visible depends on the order in which scenery loads, but I haven't needed to edit any .ini files - it just worked. WED has the potential to be complicated, but a simple grass strip could be knocked up in an hour.

Structures such as bridges - you're on your own there, I'm afraid. I'd love to see Orwell Bridge too, having 'flown' down from Beccles via Felixstowe/Harwich just to take a look!

Archived