installation problems

garryappleby

I purchased FSX AU Blue in mid March 2008 from the Flightsim Store. Rather than downloading a copy of the program, I elected to purchase a copy of the program on a DVD.

I installed the program onto my pc without any problems, however, recently I had to reformat my HD (due to some major problems) and I have since had numerious trying to load the program without success.

The pc now has Windows XP with SP3 installed on it.

I have read the previous topics to try to resove this issue but have still not had any success. I am also running McAfee anitvirus and anti spyware on my pc. I have deleted the temporary internet files, performed a scan disk, defraged the HD, run the virus scanner and run PC Tools Registry Mechanic. This still did not resolve the problem.

Even when I have disabled the McAfee anitvirus and anti spyware program, I still have no success in installing the program.

I would like to attach some jpg files, which illustrates some of the problems I have encountered thus far, but the icon (insert image) does not seem to work.

The error message I get when McAfee is running is:

Error Message:

“NSIS Error. The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download, or a virus. You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy. It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (not recommended).â€

When I disabled McAfee, I got the following error messages when the installation was partially completed. ...not totally installed because of the following reason:

1. ORBX\FTX_AU48_CUSTOM\Texture\011g2sp4.bmp: This file contains invalid data' (error 21FC).

2. """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""\026b2su7.bmp: """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

3. """""""""""""""""""05_ROADS\scenery\cvx_Orbx_Australia_Roads_SK55_TAS.BGL. """""""""""""""""""""".

4. Error decompressing data! Corrupted installer?

My purchase details are attached to My profile.

Regards

Garry Appleby :P

Hi Garry,

please remove the key number order data from your Sig, the ordernumber with the last 4 digits is enough for us

As to your installation woes, did you also re-install the .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 ?

this could be a cause that the installer doesn't work properly

Quick links for the .NET apps:

V1.1

V2.0

V3.0

V3.5

Thanks for your prompt response Walter...much appreciated.

I shall update my Sig as requested.

As for the installation woes, I resintalled McAfee and then disabled the various functions on it. I then proceeded to install FTX and it installed ok without any warnings.

I suspect the problem relates to the McAfee antivirus and anti spyware on my pc as the first attemp at loading FTX failed...once disabled, it worked. A very frustrating experience in all...it took 15 attempts to load FTX. As I said, I'm suspect McAfee is causing some intallation issues.

In respect of the installation of .Net V3.5, is there any advantage in installing this version? Is it required to run FTX?

Regards

Garry

Hi Garry,

glad to hear you have your FTX working, as for the Virus scanner I'd loose that one and get NOD32, less intrusive and less load on the system.

with the .Net Framework 3.5 you can install that as it will not harm add's some functionallity to some things, read smooths things out

Also after all this tinkering around make sure that you do a good defrag for the fsX, it is rather sensitive to fragmentation

:)

I suspect the problem relates to the McAfee antivirus and anti spyware on my pc as the first attemp at loading FTX failed...once disabled, it worked. A very frustrating experience in all...it took 15 attempts to load FTX. As I said, I'm suspect McAfee is causing some intallation issues.

In respect of the installation of .Net V3.5, is there any advantage in installing this version? Is it required to run FTX?

Hi Garry,

While the .NET 3.5 version is not required to run the FTX applications, only 3.0, IMO it's good to have the latest framework installed as it may provide a few potential performance gains in some of the functions that the framework provides. 3.5 mainly adds new features that the FTX applications are probably not using and shouldn't affect anything on your system.

As for the issues with the installer and McAfee can you please provide me with a little further information. What I'd like to know is the version and build number and which of the applications you disabled to overcome the problem. Thanks for your assistance in helping us investigate this issue further.

Thanks Wolter and Adrian for your assistance with this matter.

Adrian, in respect of your query regarding the McAfee anti virus and anti spyware program, the McAfee anti virus and anti spyware version is 8.5.0i. Build number - unknown (can't see this anywhere in the "About VirusScan Enterprise" menu item). The other information, from that menu item, which may be useful is: "Scan Engine Version [32-bit] 5200.2160" & "DAT version 5287.000". There is not much more that I can tell you.

The applications that I disabled, prior to installation, were:

Access Protection;

Buffer Overflow Protection;

On-Delivery E-mail Scanner; and

On-Access Scanner.

Hope this information is what you were enquiring about.

Regards

Garry

Archived