True Earth No. Cal. Causing Too Many CTDs!

I just downloaded TE No. Cal. yesterday.  Great scenery, but I find it is causing way too many CTDs.  Close to SF Bay, the instability increases.  Sometimes, I lose sound before a crash, and many if not most seem to occur when I access something -- anything -- like P or the map.  Usually, this happens even when my FPS are at their targeted max.  Last night, I tried to save my flight in a relatively uncluttered coastal area, and as soon as I hit the ; key -- CTD! 

Do I need more PC power (my specs are below)? 

Or, does it matter where you put the folder?  I opted to install it in Orbx Libraries (C:\users\myself\OrbxLibraries\P3Dv.4).  Can its location affect performance?  My only other TE scenery is TEGB South, which is installed directly into P3Dv.4 (C:\ProgramFiles\LockheedMartin\P3Dv.4), and which runs without any CTDs.  Shall I move TE No. Cal. to P3Dv.4?  How about the Library I created for a couple of Orbx airports (C:\Library\ . . .)?  Would that be better? 

Thanks all,

Mac6737

Core i7-8700K, 3.7 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

AORUS Z370 5LGA motherboard

16 GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400

MSI 27" LED gaming monitor

Well, this scenery is a massive resource consumer, more so than any other scenery I have installed.  I bought it last night, installed it into my P3D library on my SSD and attempted to spawn at KSFO.  After watching it sit at 6% loaded for 10 minutes, I gave up.  Today I tried spawning at KDFW and flying to KSFO.  At one point after entering the NORCAL airspace where this scenery was loaded, I noticed it looked pretty good from the cockpit, but then again, it did before with Global Base and the regional Northern California scenery.  But when I looked from top down or outside view, it didn't look very good at all.  As I approached KSFO, there were all kinds of things that weren't loading properly on the ground.

Turning back to resources, my CPU was running at 99-100% at 82 C.  I'm running a custom PC from Jetline with an i7 7700K Kaby Lake OC'd to 4.8GHz, an NVIDIA GTX 1080, etc.  There is plenty of power under the hood.  Maybe I have an installation issue, but I'm not running any of my settings at max so I really don't understand this.  I have many Orbx products as well as all of the other major developer scenery (I run Prosim737 on a Jetmax with a second PC running Prosim, visuals, CDU, etc), so I have a LOT of scenery.  None of them behave this way, mainly I think because of my specs.  I will search the forum some more, but this scenery just came out and I don't see much out there yet.  I'm scratching head with you on this one.  Orbx makes great stuff...

14 hours ago, Troy551 said:

Turning back to resources, my CPU was running at 99-100% at 82 C. 

How do you find that spec?  Task Manager?

I have had no problem loading it (okay, it takes a while).  The good news:  After my initial post here, I took off from Ocean Ranch (CA51) and landed at Redding (KRDD).  Changed planes and then flew N past Mt. Shasta and out of the scenery.  No CTDs! :)  I think it helps if you Pause before doing anything else (like set the GPS or access the map); also, if the light on your tower is flashing, let it catch its breath before unpausing.

But I'm not optimistic about the Bay Area.  I'll try again soon.

Mac6737

6 hours ago, Mac6737 said:

How do you find that spec?  Task Manager?

I use a NZXT case so I use their CAM app for CPU/GPU monitoring.  https://www.nzxt.com/camapp.  Running a i7 7700K OC to 4.8 at 99-100 with temps of 81-82 C was a little concerning.  I run a ton of scenery, but I also run P3D and Prosim on two PCs and I never see these kinds of numbers consistently anywhere in the world, on ground or in air.  They might spike to this level while changing views and it needs to do a quick loading of scenery in that new view, but never constant like it was in TE NorCal airspace.  The textures weren't crisp like the photos too.  I may uninstall and try again.  Weird though, as I have used Orbx products for many years without issue.

I think you have plenty under the hood in your rig for just about any scenery, as long as you don't have your sliders maxed.  Something must be up.  Recommend checking your admin events to see what the offending software is that's causing the CTDs.

• 5 months later...

Archived