TerraFlora causes X-plane frame rate drop

5 hours ago, Halichopter said:

Adding TerraFlora with the Orbx installer caused my frame rate to drop from 30-32 fps to 18-20fps. Is a drop in frame rate expected? If so is this dramatic drop normal?

Thanks,

Hal Roberts

No it shouldn't as it is only replacing some default textures with more accurate a variety of trees.

Do you have other forest/tree type addons in addition, like the files of forests that exist in X-Europe or SFGD Global or Simheaven Forest addons?

That is good to know. When I installed it using the Orbx installer I got error messages. It said to click on some fix it button, which I don't know if it worked or not. It said it that doesn't work, post on this forum. So here I am. I was told the scenery_packs.ini file may be helpful. Here it is below:

I
1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Chicago/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Dubai/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Las Vegas/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - New York/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Sydney/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Washington DC/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_OrbxlibsXP/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/TerraFloraXP/

Jon, I will have to try it again. I have discovered that I am getting significant fps changes simply by changing airports. 

KSEA = 22-24

KFCM = 25

PGUM = 34

PHNL = 25

This is consistent. The fact that I got error messages from the Orbx installer, and I saw a frame rate around 20-22 made me immediately think it was TerraFlora. Note that I'm new to this so I don't have a fundamental understanding whether a change to scenery should impact fps. I went back to the X-plane backup copy prior to installing TerraFlora and my frame rate went over 30, naturally I blamed TF. 

I've added some mesh upgrade for Guam, Hawaii and Puerto Rico and I see no fps drop. I would like to add TerraFlora on top of this mesh upgrade. I assume a mesh upgrade for those 3 regions could not have any impact on KSEA and KFCM (my home airport).

Before I do this, can you tell me the exact steps you would do to install TF and what to do if I see error messages?

Thanks,

Hal

Your fps rates will vary dramatically depending on what addons and in what detail those addons are.

Try KLAX with high XP settings and you will have a much different fps experience than you would at Palm Springs for example.

Mesh will also affect fps.

There is no one setting for all occasions and you have to be prepared to change some setting depending where you are.

To install TF you just open Orbx Central, My Products,Global, Terra Flora and choose install. That's it.

It will be most evident in default scenery as all the True Earth scenery already has TF trees in it.

4 hours ago, Halichopter said:

Since my entire problem was caused by the installation warnings and the lack of feedback that 'Verify Files' actually did anything, can you say why I got errors and whether 'verify files' indeed fixed them?

If verify files worked there is a green tick as shown in your 2nd pic upwards.

You are saying that you are not seeing any error reports on screen so it must have worked OK. There is no User guide that is why you got that other message.

Archived