AVSIM review of FTX/ORBX/NA Blue/Pacific Northwest

raymar99

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0410/FTX/PNW.htm

Nice review - Gold Star Award -  Yeah!

Pacific NorthWest From Orbx

Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 20:02

Staff reviewer Philip Wilson flies around his home territory with Orbx's Pacific NorthWest. Orbx states, "We chose to begin our North American series of regions in the Pacific Northwest simply because it offers some of the most diverse and beautiful areas in the entire planet to explore in Flight Simulator X. It's a bush flyer's paradise and for good reason, with spectacular geographical features unlike anywhere else on Earth."

Philip adds the compatibility notes from Orbx in case you have other 3rd party sceneries added to your sim. He then explains all the texture and eye candy features of the product. "Orbx reworked nearly 450 FSX default airports within the PNW region, correcting the various faults in the stock airports. This is an overwhelming makeover and now every airport they have touched has lots of eye candy in the form of vehicles, aircraft, and military helicopters to name a few items."

Since this is a scenery review, it wouldn't be useful unless there were screenshots. Philip has added a sampling of the various areas covered to give you a good idea of the treats you are in for. He adds, "the detail of this scenery package is unbelievable. The manual has 5 pages dedicated to FSX slider settings and explaining what works best and why."

Wrapping up the review of the Pacific NorthWest Philip concludes, "the textures and terrain mesh are breathtaking and flow accurately from the majestic mountains and valleys of Washington State to the rolling hills and farmland of central Oregon. Beautiful coastlines from northern Vancouver, BC to Bandon, Oregon, and photo real city textures finish off an exceptional product. This is definitely a must have package for every FSX user."

RayM

Bump - The review has to be the most comprehensive review of any package to date for AVSIM - not just scenery.  Unbelievable number of screenshots and lots of useful information for users/owners.  A must read for all.  :P

RayM

• 4 years later...

Well there's no doubt about it ... ORBX rules!  I can't stop buying their products and what a difference they've made to FS since I first started flying the 172  from"Bruce Artwick's" Meigs Airport in Chicago to Kankakee ... all on my keyboard. 

Anyway I just wanted to cry a bit about the 'PNW eastern borderline' leaving out the old Pacific Western Airlines daily route from Vancouver to Kamloops, Kelowna, Penticton and back in the 737-300.  That's unbeatible short distance flying over the Coast Range (12,000 ft flight level) or following the Fraser River in your C172 to Kamloops and then enjoying the enroute Okanagan towns (above)  back to Vancouver, BC. 

Not on PWA's stops but on the way, are the charming smaller airports of Salmon Arm, Vernon or ... an easy visit to Seattle in the wake of Horizon's Bombardiers.

Maybe I'm just biased because I live in Kamloops but more to the point, you'd be hard pressed to enjoy better short haul flying with such magnificent scenery and challenging airports ... especially for us Dash 8 or B200 pilots ... or as WestJet does fly the 737's in. 

Hopefully my cries from the wilderness will be mercifully heard by the extremely talented design gang at Orbx ..."please, just go East a little"  ??

Ken

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ts1cu1ysae1m8b2/Kamloops-Airport-from-air.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej5fah4to8o4shm/Kamloops-Airport.gif?dl=0

PS:  I feel a lot like the BC FSX Chamber of Commerce ::)

Well there's no doubt about it ... ORBX rules!  I can't stop buying their products and what a difference they've made to FS since I first started flying the 172  from"Bruce Artwick's" Meigs Airport in Chicago to Kankakee ... all on my keyboard. 

Anyway I just wanted to cry a bit about the 'PNW eastern borderline' leaving out the old Pacific Western Airlines daily route from Vancouver to Kamloops, Kelowna, Penticton and back in the 737-300.  That's unbeatible short distance flying over the Coast Range (12,000 ft flight level) or following the Fraser River in your C172 to Kamloops and then enjoying the enroute Okanagan towns (above)  back to Vancouver, BC. 

Not on PWA's stops but on the way, are the charming smaller airports of Salmon Arm, Vernon or ... an easy visit to Seattle in the wake of Horizon's Bombardiers.

Maybe I'm just biased because I live in Kamloops but more to the point, you'd be hard pressed to enjoy better short haul flying with such magnificent scenery and challenging airports ... especially for us Dash 8 or B200 pilots ... or as WestJet does fly the 737's in. 

Hopefully my cries from the wilderness will be mercifully heard by the extremely talented design gang at Orbx ..."please, just go East a little"  ??

No need to cry: Kamloops, Kelowna, Penticton etc etc is all covered in the Northern Rocky Mountains regionpack (NRM) https://www.fullterrain.com/product/nrm

Make sure to grab it while its on sale!! ;D enjoy

Archived