True Earth NCA Taking AGES to load

Brandan

Hello All,

Ever since I purchased True Earth Northern California for XP11, I have to wait for 20 mins on end for my sim to load up anywhere within the True Earth NCA coverage area.

I have absolutely no other problems booting up anywhere else in the world with the ortho I have installed, and takes no longer than 2 mins.

I am completely awe struck that it takes that long to load... is this normal!? I'm not booting it off a SSD though, but yet again I'm loading up to different places of the world with Ortho installed running as a shortcut from an external USB drive; and that loads in 2 mins!

Thanks for your help,

Brandan

9 minutes ago, Brandan said:

Hello All,

Ever since I purchased True Earth Northern California for XP11, I have to wait for 20 mins on end for my sim to load up anywhere within the True Earth NCA coverage area.

I have absolutely no other problems booting up anywhere else in the world with the ortho I have installed, and takes no longer than 2 mins.

I am completely awe struck that it takes that long to load... is this normal!? I'm not booting it off a SSD though, but yet again I'm loading up to different places of the world with Ortho installed running as a shortcut from an external USB drive; and that loads in 2 mins!

Thanks for your help,

Brandan

It totally depends on the read/write speed of the disk that the addon is located on. I cannot comment on the disk speed of your particular disk but I can confirm that there is a vast difference between loading ortho4xp scenery versus a True Earth scenery. This is because there is a huge amount of additional content in the Overlay and Custom files of a TE addon versus that of an overlay file created by ortho4xp. You can run a test by temporarily disabling the Overlay and Custom folder/files and just see how long it takes to load just the ortho imagery of TE NorCal.

Loading times are purely down to disk speed and also a couple of XP settings. For example if you have selected the highest Texture Quality setting in XP it will take a bit longer to load against a setting much lower in XP .

The load time aspect is one of the reasons that it is suggested that a SSD is probably  a better suited option purely for load time efficiency. The SSD will not enhance XP performance, but will definitely decrease load tome.

I have a NVME M2 drive which has a read/write speed of of over 3400MB/s versus an SSD at 500MB/s versus an external HD at 173MB/s so you can see the load times using the NVME disk is substantially quicker than the load time of an addon like TE NorCal on an external drive.

Archived