Windows Mobile device as a gps in game unit?

Wedge

I have just received a new touchscreen mobile phone (Samsung Omnia Icon i8000) that is running Windows Mobile 6.5.  I am wondering if there is a way to have it running GPS software to track my location and display flight plans etc, whilst flying on another pc.  Has anyone done this or seen a program that will allow it to be done?  I would love some info...

I dont think the software inside a phone is able to communicate in a way with the pc for it to just forget that its a phone first off.  Your probably better off buying a 7" touch screen that uses a usb connection and dragging the gps unit into that screen.

We are looking into creating a G1000 for the Apple iPad (a 9.7 inch touchscreen computer) which we can link to your FSX using SimConnect in realtime for GPS, engine management and other nav functions. Still early days but I reckon it will be a winner.

Thanks for your input thus far guys.

Ryan, I assume that I will take a large framerate hit by doing this.  Does it work the same as running another monitor through a video card?  I have tried this and it cut my FPS by half

John, sounds interesting and I'll keep an eye on its development.

Runs Google maps fine.  Now to work out if it can get serial data and how xconn works...

Archived